Match Report
Wharfedale RUFC (5) vs Heath RUFC (50)
Saturday 18 February 2017
HOME > Heath Hawks (2nd XV) > Match Report
Drop Goals
Penalty Tries
Penalty Goals

Its Heath against Heath, and Heath win out

Reporter: Steve Dawes
Dated: 20 February 2017


1. Kerr   2. Puttick   3. Morley   4. Dance

5. James    6. Wilby 7. Dawes 8. Hunter

9. Owen 10. Reynolds 11. Whitworth 12 Davies 13 Blackhall 14 Wilkinson 15 Cockroft

Replacements: Szadby

Volunteers playing for Wharfedale

Dodd, Bull, Richardson, Burbridge, Hammond


Heath travelled to Wharfedale in unusually mild conditions, and with a larger than normal squad of 21 travelling, it was expected that the squad would be able to rotate some of the team ahead of important matches to come. Alas this was not to be, with Wharfedale only being able to muster a team of 9. Thanks once again go out to the 5 volunteers who made a match possible, although it was hard for the team to motivate themselves playing against team mates. The aims were to not only win but secure the bonus points as early as possible.

Heath kicked off and immediately had Wharfedale on the back foot. The ball was recycled quickly by the pack and Blackhall was released for an early score. With Cole on vacation, Cockcroft took over the kicking duties and added the extras 0-7

Within minutes the score had been extended further, Blackhall ran through and was supported by James, Dawes picked up the ball to make further ground which enabled Dance to be released for the 2nd score. Again, Cockcroft added the extras 0-14.

Heath then went to sleep for a period with our opponents spending a lengthy period of play within the Heath 22. Heath held strong but the play was not the best and some harsh words were exchanged. Heath regrouped and via a strong drive in the pack Wilkinson was released for a wide run which he finished off behind the posts, the extras from Cockcroft were a formality 0-21

Heath sensed the bonus point wining try may not be far off, but again put themselves under unnecessary pressure by giving away penalties and missing tackles.  Owen gathered the forwards and again they took charge, Owen released Whitworth, who showed his versatility by sprinting half the length of the pitch for the important fourth score. The conversion was missed 0-26

The referee blew for half time, James was replaced by Szadby (who then had to switch sides for an injury to Burbridge)

From the kick, off Owen kicked through, Morley collected and broke through the gain line, Hunter sprinting outside, passed to Kerr who then after drawing the defender passed to Reynolds for another score. Cockroft failed to add the extras 0-31.

Next it was Wharfedales Heath contingent to shine, Szadby broke the line and score a Try for the opponents 5-31

From the restart, Wilkinson broke away, he was tackled but Kerr was there to receive the ball, he made several metres before the ball went from Puttick to Hunter who crossed the try line 5 - 36

Cockroft added the two 5 - 38

Wharfedale were broken as a team now, and Heath were piling on the pressure, Wilkinson broke again wide and scored, with the extras missed 5 - 43

The final score of the game was made by Cockroft who ran nearly the full length of the pitch after being released by Wilby. He converted his own try 5 - 50.









The Clubhouse
North Dean
Stainland Rd

An RFU Accredited Club The Sign of a Great Pint England Rugby Stainland Lions Running Club Heath Old Boys RFU Northern Division Competitions Committee
Copyright © 2024 Heath RUFC, Halifax. All rights reserved.
Last Updated: 19 April 2024
Website by Sleepy Frog Designs