Match Report
Heath RUFC (41) vs Hallam (0)
Saturday 4 February 2017
HOME > Heath Hawks (2nd XV) > Match Report
Drop Goals
Penalty Tries
Penalty Goals

Good win for the 3rds!

Reporter: Spud Taylor
Dated: 12 February 2017

Heath 3rd xv entertained Hallamshire RUFC at West Vale on a lovely sunny afternoon. The opponents arrived with 12 players and Heath players, Paddy KERR and Leon ASHTON played for the away side in order to allow contested scrums.

Heath made the perfect start from the kick off. The ball was caught by second row, James WHITWORTH who drove the ball in. The ball was recycled and centre, Gareth WEBB put in an excellent kick deep into Hallamshire territory. The chase was good forcing the defender to put a foot in touch some 15 metres from the line. Flanker Martyn BARNES took good lineout ball and the ball was passed down the backline all the way to left winger, Michael DODD who skipped over in the corner for a well-taken try. Gareth WEBB missed the conversion. 5 – 0

The next 20 minutes was very well contested by both teams with defences on top throughout. The big outside half was causing problems with his strong – running but Heath stemmed the flow from this source after about 15 – 20 minutes. It was the home side who added to their lead when they had an attacking 5 metre scrum after a Hallamshire player had kicked the ball dead. Scrum half, Charlie LOMAS passed out to outside half, Michael REYNOLDS. He made ground before being tackled just short of the line. Charlie was on hand to pick up the ball and score close to the posts for a try converted by Gareth WEBB. 12 – 0.

After 32 minutes, Heath extended their lead when flanker, Jimmy BLACKMORE had a barnstorming run which lead to quick recycled ball which was passed down the line and James WHITWORTH took the ball on the wing and sprinted 30 metres to score a try between the posts. Gareth WEBB converted. 19 – 0.

After 34 minutes, Gareth WEBB put in a deft kick in the away ‘22’, the fullback mishandled the ball which gave Gareth the easy opportunity to pick up, dive over the try line and score a try which he failed to convert. 24 – 0. Hallamshire lost a player to injury so Matt DAY then swapped sides to play for the opposition to even numbers up at 14 a side.

On the stroke of half time, centre Cameron RAMSDEN made good ground before being tackled. The ball was then passed down the line to Gareth OWEN who was in the right wing position. He was able to score near the corner flag. The conversion was missed.

Half time: Heath 29 v 0 Hallamshire

After 52 minutes, Heath had an attacking 5 metre scrum and number 8, John HALL, picked up at the base of the scrum, broke blind and passed to right winger, James WHITWORTH who crossed in the corner for a further unconverted try. 34 – 0

Heath remained on top for the rest of the half but excellent defence by Hallamshire kept their line intact until the last minute of play when Cameron RAMSDEN  scored a try some 10 metres from the posts converted by Gareth WEBB. Referee Colin MILNER then brought the game to an end.

Final score: Heath 41 v 0 Hallamshire.

This was an entertaining game played in a good spirit between 2 committed sides who gave their all. Outstanding for Heath was hooker, Eric BLACKMORE, who played the full game showing excellent fitness and providing a large presence throughout.



The Clubhouse
North Dean
Stainland Rd

An RFU Accredited Club The Sign of a Great Pint England Rugby Stainland Lions Running Club Heath Old Boys RFU Northern Division Competitions Committee
Copyright © 2024 Heath RUFC, Halifax. All rights reserved.
Last Updated: 19 April 2024
Website by Sleepy Frog Designs