Match Report
Bradford & Bingley (56) vs Heath RUFC (17)
Saturday 6 December 2014
HOME > Heath Hawks (2nd XV) > Match Report
Drop Goals
Penalty Tries
Penalty Goals

A Depleted Heath Stung by Bees

Reporter: Spud
Dated: 30 November -0001
Heath 2nds travelled to Wagon Lane to take on higher-league team Bradford and Bingley 2nds in a friendly fixture on a dry but overcast afternoon. Unfortunately, due to late withdrawals, Heath travelled with 14 players only but the home side provided the 15th player which was appreciated by the Heath boys. Bees started strongly and created an attacking platform in the Heath 22 and, after 9 minutes, they scored a converted try from a tap penalty some 5 metres out where the big prop barged over. 0 7. However, Heath hit back within 3 minutes. Debutant centre, Ben MATHER, carried the ball well over the gain line before being tackled, the ball was recycled and after a forwards drive the ball was passed down the line with the backs showing good passing and pace before Ben MATHER passed out to the overlapping full back, Kyle ADAMSON, who scored his first try for the club in the corner. Michael DODDs conversion effort was just wide. 5 7. After 19 minutes, the Heath backline was showing confidence running the ball in their own 22. After a couple of drives, the ball was kicked deep by Kyle ADAMSON. The ball was collected by the home full back who linked with his left winger on halfway. The winger then went through the Heath defence like a knife through butter and scored under the posts. The try was converted. 5 14. Heath got the ball out to the backs and good passing found Junaid MALIK some 10 metres out from the line. He looked to be a certain try scorer but a last ditch tackle caused him to drop the ball over the line and the chance had gone. Heath continued to come back at their opponents and had a sustained period of pressure in the home 22. After a couple of penalties on the 5 metres line, the ball was run in by the forwards and although the home defence held initially, prop Paddy KERR burst over to score an unconverted try near the corner flag. 10 14 after 26 minutes. After 31 minutes, Bees increased their lead when they were awarded 3 penalties in quick succession in the Heath 22. From the 3rd penalty, the ball was passed to the other prop who forced his way over. The try was converted. 10 21 After 37 minutes, Bees increased their grip on the game with a further converted try to make the score 10 28. However, in the 40th minute Heath came back once more. The dangerous looking Heath backline once more passed the ball well and Ben MATHER made another good break. When he was eventually tackled the ball was recycled and passed down the line once again where flanker, James WHITWORTH took the ball and showed his pace to score under the posts. DODDY converted. 17 28. Referee Nick LEADBEATER blew the halftime whistle shortly afterwards. Half time: Bradford and Bingley 2nds 28 v 17 Heath 2nds Overall, this had been an entertaining first half in which Heath had shown good character to keep coming back at the home side after conceding points. Bees got the second half underway and immediately Heath showed the desire to keep the ball alive. Flanker Colin HEWISON took the ball from the kick off and made ground before passing to support. The ball went through a number of hands with hooker Roger HAMMOND going on a 15 metres trot and passing to Junaid MALIK. He made ground and passed the ball inside to the supporting scrum half, Ben DAVIES. The ball was then passed to the left but the Bees defence scrambled back and the ball went into touch some 20 metres from the home line. A good start to the half by the Heath boys. After 44 minutes, Bees made their way up field into the Heath 22 and at a ruck, the prop who scored the first try then picked up the ball and ran straight through without a hand being placed upon him. The try was converted. 17 35. After 51 minutes, the same prop then scored a further converted try to increase the lead to 17 42. After 54 minutes, Roger HAMMOND left the field with a groin injury and Paddy KERR received treatment to his shoulder. Paddy bravely carried on but Heath were now down to 14 players and uncontested scrums followed. From the first unconverted scrum in the Heath 22, the ball was passed down the line but was dropped allowing a Bees player to pick up and score a converted try. 17 49. Paddy KERR then left the field and Heath were down to 13. However, a Bees replacement came on to play for Heath to give them 14. Shortly afterwards prop, Gareth OWEN left the field with a leg injury and Heath were back down to 13. Bees scored a further converted try and Nick LEADBEATER made the sensible decision to bring the game to an early conclusion. Final score: Bradford and Bingley 2nds 56 v 17 Heath 2nds This was a game in which the Heath boys showed character throughout and the backline certainly caused problems to their opponents when passing the ball down the line. However, the extra strength and speed of the home side was evident throughout. Man of the match awards go to Ben MATHER who made an instant impact in the backs with his strong-running and tackling, his runs causing problems to the Bees all afternoon; and, in the forwards, Colin HEWISON showed well in both attack and defence.



The Clubhouse
North Dean
Stainland Rd

An RFU Accredited Club The Sign of a Great Pint England Rugby Stainland Lions Running Club Heath Old Boys RFU Northern Division Competitions Committee
Copyright © 2024 Heath RUFC, Halifax. All rights reserved.
Last Updated: 19 April 2024
Website by Sleepy Frog Designs