Match Report
Heath RUFC (25) vs Old Rishworthians II RUFC (32)
Saturday 11 October 2014
HOME > Heath Hawks (2nd XV) > Match Report
Drop Goals
Penalty Tries
Penalty Goals

Great Effort from the Heath Squad but Rish's Dominence Wins

Reporter: Spud
Dated: 30 November -0001
Heath 2nd xv played hosts to their nearest neighbours, Old Rishworthians 2nd xv at West Vale on a fine, sunny afternoon in a league game. The home side started well and looked like opening their account within 3 minutes. Centre Martin WHITE kicked the ball and the fortuitous bounce allowed left winger, John BOTTOMLEY to gain good ground before finding second row, Paul STEWART in support. He got within 10 metres of the Rish’s line before the ball was knocked forwards resulting in a defensive scrum. Heath took the resulting scrum against the head and after a couple of drives, Rish came over the top in the ruck and outside half, Alan WILLIAMS, converted the resulting penalty. 3 – 0 after 5 minutes. However, parity was restored within 3 minutes when Heath were penalised at a line out on their ‘22’ and the Rish kicker made no mistake with the kick. 3 – 3 After 11 minutes, Rish got their noses in front with a try from a Heath scrum on the home 10 metres line. Although the ball was won by the pack, the Rish scrum half harassed young scrum half, Ben DAVIES, as he was in the process of picking up the ball at the base of the scrum. The ball went loose and the Rish backrower picked up the ball and scored a try between the posts which was converted. 3 – 10. After 15 minutes, Heath drew level with a well – taken, forward orientated try. Play was taken into the Rish ‘22’ by the home pack. After several drives they got within a metre of the try line and captain and number 8, Emlyn JAMES plunged over for the try converted by Alan WILLIAMS. 10 – 10 The home forwards were now well and truly imposing themselves on the game and taking the upper hand with the home defence appearing solid. After 22 minutes, the ball was won by the pack and the ball was transferred along the line with hooker, Gareth OWEN passing outside to full back, Tom COLLINGE who inwardly – transferred the ball to right winger, James WHITWORTH who put his head down and ran straight for the line. Although he had his collar grabbed, he used his strength to score in the corner. The conversion was unsuccessful. 15 – 10 After 27 minutes, Heath increased their lead with a converted try. Rish were attacking but a strong tackle by centre, Martyn BARNES on the Rish right winger resulted in the ball being passed out to the left and James WHITWORTH saw the opportunity to intercept, which he did with aplomb, and he beat the defence to score a 60 metres try under the posts which was again converted by Alan WILLIAMS. 22 – 10 At this point, Martyn BARNES left the field with a blood injury to be replaced by Adam OLDROYD who moved to outside half and Alan WILLIAMS moved to centre. After 34 minutes, Heath looked as if they were going to increase their lead when Martin WHITE got up quickly into the line putting off his opposite number who dropped the ball. The ball was picked up by Alan WILLIAMS who then interpassed with Adam OLDROYD who then passed inside for Martin WHITE. Unfortunately, the ball was unable to be caught and a Rish scrum followed. At this point, the home side were well and truly on top. Their dominance led to a penalty in the Rish ‘22’ under the posts which was converted by Alan WILLIAMS. 25 – 10 after 37 minutes. Rish then had a period of sustained pressure in the Heath ‘22’ just before half time but the home defence held and the half time whistle sounded after a Rish forward had been held up over the line. Half time: Heath 2nds 25 – 10 Rish 2nds. During the interval, flanker Michael STEAD left the field to be replaced by Oliver WILBY. After 44 minutes, James WHITWORTH had to leave the field with an injury and Martyn BARNES returned to the fray on the left wing with John BOTTOMLEY moving over to the right wing. Rish had started the second half well and were dominant in the early stages. After 49 minutes, they received their reward when the ball was passed out wide to the left wing where the winger scored a try in the corner. This was well converted. 25 – 17 After 55 minutes, Heath kicked from their own ‘22’ however, the ball did not find touch and was run back with interest by the Rish full back. He found the right winger who then scored a try in the corner. The conversion was unsuccessful. 25 – 22 and all to play for. Prop Roger HAMMOND then left the field to be replaced by debutant, Lee McNAMEE. Rish continued to hold the upperhand as the Heath pack began to tire and it was no surprise when they took the lead after 64 minutes when a kick to the left by the outside was picked up by the Rish left winger who scored a try in the corner which was, again, well converted. 25 – 29. After 72 minutes, Paul STEWART received a yellow card and the home side was reduced to 14 players for the last part of the game. The Rish outside half then had 3 unsuccessful attempts at increasing their lead with drop goals before, after 75 minutes, they were awarded a kickable penalty some 22 metres out which they successfully converted. 25 – 32 Heath then had a rare visit to the Rish ‘22’ and put pressure on the try line. They were awarded a penalty and Heath ran the ball in in an attempt to get the try which would give them the chance to level the game with a conversion, however, the Rish defence held and they cleared their lines which then brought about the final whistle from referee, Graham RACKSTRAW. Final score: Heath 2nds 25 – 32 Old Rishworthians 2nds This was a very good game played by 2 committed teams and the scoreline reflects the close nature of the game overall. This was one of the games of ‘ 2 halves’ with the Heath boys dictating play in the first half but the younger Rish team taking the spoils in the second half. Man of the Match awards go to right winger, James WHITWORTH who scored a couple of tries and performed well both in attack and defence; and, in the forwards, prop, Paddy KERR who put in a full-blooded performance against his former club.



The Clubhouse
North Dean
Stainland Rd

An RFU Accredited Club The Sign of a Great Pint England Rugby Stainland Lions Running Club Heath Old Boys RFU Northern Division Competitions Committee
Copyright © 2024 Heath RUFC, Halifax. All rights reserved.
Last Updated: 19 April 2024
Website by Sleepy Frog Designs