Match Report
Wharfdale (47) vs Heath RUFC (7)
Saturday 11 November 2023
HOME > Heath Hawks (2nd XV) > Match Report
Drop Goals
Penalty Tries
Penalty Goals

Tough day on the road for Hawks

Reporter: R Cole
Dated: 11 November 2023

Wharfedale 2’s 47-7 Heath Hawks

Heron, Burbidge, R.Johnson, Haigh, Downsborough, Sharp, Bruce, Ward (c), Rowntree, Cartwright, Firth, Jordan Bloem, Harriott-Brown, Cadogan, Granger.

Subs: Jamie Bloem & R.Cole

Try: Jordan Bloem.

Conversion: Cadogan

⭐️Star Player: Jordan Bloem⭐️

The Hawks headed to North Yorkshire for the second week running, looking to secure league points.

The visitors started well, finding gaps out wide and testing the defence. Outside centre, Callum Harriott-Brown caused problems with his footwork, timing his passes superbly to release Eddie Cartwright and then Jake Firth. Both breaks came to nothing but Wharfedale realised they were in a game. After a couple of close calls and a missed penalty attempt, the Hawks conceded two tries after pressure on their line.

Player of the match, Jordan Bloem led the fight back, breaking the line and releasing Phil Cadogan but good scrambling defence halted the attack. The home team scored again, with Ian Downsborough having to leave the field with a nasty facial injury, Jamie Bloem replacing him in the pack. At the end of the half, Jordan Bloem intercepted on the half way and sprinted clear to score, Cadogan converted. Half time 19-7.

The Hawks had been superb in the first half, continued to battle throughout and never gave in. Makeshift flanker, Jack Bruce, Sam Sharp and captain Brook Ward worked tirelessly all game against bigger opposition. Carter Haigh and Jamie Bloem hitting hard and dominating in defence. Wharfedale scored after five minutes but credit to Heath, the lads conceded the other three converted tries in the last 15 minutes as they tired. Max Rowntree was busy at nine, making some important tackles and sniping well behind his pack. Richard Cole replaced the injured George Heron to see out the last 6 minutes. The Hawks finished well with Firth going close twice only to be stopped by last ditch, illegal tackles. Rondene Johnson made some lung busting runs and the impressive Oli Burbidge thought he’d scored a deserved try, only to discover he’d grounded the ball short on the 5 metre line, much to the delight of both sides. Full time 47-7.

The score does not reflect the performance. The Hawks were immense all game with every player sticking to the task for the full game. Lesser teams would have conceded more and when Wharfedale chose to kick at goal from a penalty early in the second half it showed how competitive the Hawks were. Onto Driffield next week, the squad focussed on picking up league points.




The Clubhouse
North Dean
Stainland Rd

An RFU Accredited Club The Sign of a Great Pint England Rugby Stainland Lions Running Club Heath Old Boys RFU Northern Division Competitions Committee
Copyright © 2024 Heath RUFC, Halifax. All rights reserved.
Last Updated: 25 February 2024
Website by Sleepy Frog Designs