Match Report
Heath RUFC (15) vs Keighley RUFC (38)
Saturday 5 March 2022
HOME > Heath Hawks (2nd XV) > Match Report
Drop Goals
Penalty Tries
Penalty Goals

Heath never gave up and pushed a good side all the way

Reporter: Richard Cole
Dated: 6 March 2022


Heron, Whitworth, Bryan, Burbidge, James, Haigh, Sharp, Shipman, Rowntree, Scrimshaw, Hinchliffe, Hall, Beever, Taylor, Gianotti.
Subs: Moana, Wadsworth & R.Cole.



Tries: Hall, Taylor & Whitworth.



Heath kicked off in confident mood after some great performances and results in the last few games. Both teams started brightly and cancelled each other out. Olly Scrimshaw kicked sensibly to relieve pressure and centre, Gareth Hall, broke the line a couple of times - unfortunately with no end product. Chris Beever made a welcome return to the side and jinked through, but the final pass wasn’t forthcoming and the chance was lost.

After twenty minutes, Jordan Moana entered the fray to give the hardworking, Oli Burbidge, a deserved rest. The visitors big runners were beginning to have increased success and Heath finally cracked, conceding a converted try from close range. Heath hit straight back, Hall ran a great line off Scrimshaw, finishing confidently to the side of the post.   The back row of man of the match Joe Shipman, Carter Haigh, & Sam Sharp were superb all game especially in defence, hitting well above their weight and scrambling to deny any line breaks. Tobias Hinchliffe and Ben Gianotti brought the ball back confidently from deep kicks, always beating the first chaser and linking well with the retreating forwards. Heath had chances to kick on but it was the visitors who recorded two further scores. Half time 5-19.

Emlyn James left the field for Rhys Wadsworth and Richard Cole replaced scrum half Max Rowntree who had taken a head knock just before the whistle. Keighley started the brighter and dominated the third quarter, recording a further three tries and building an impressive lead. The response from the home team highlighted the spirit and class within the squad. George Heron and Silla Bryan carried well and all the back row continued to be heavily involved. From a scrum, Cole/The Enforcer surprised himself and his teammates with a turnover. From the resulting penalty Heath shifted the point of attack to the left flank where Alex Taylor blasted over to record his first Heath try.

The home side continued to press and James Whitworth was bundled into touch inches short from a great one-two at the line out with Shipman. Not to be denied Whitworth ran well off Scrimshaw on the blind side to crash over. Heath went in search of the bonus point try but sadly were unable to add to their tally. Full time 15-38.

Credit goes to this squad, again tested by injuries and unavailability’s, never gave up and pushed a good side all the way. We have evolved as the season has progressed and the attitude was clear for all to see in another committed team performance.



The Clubhouse
North Dean
Stainland Rd

An RFU Accredited Club The Sign of a Great Pint England Rugby Stainland Lions Running Club Heath Old Boys RFU Northern Division Competitions Committee
Copyright © 2024 Heath RUFC, Halifax. All rights reserved.
Last Updated: 19 April 2024
Website by Sleepy Frog Designs