Match Report
Heath RUFC (38) vs Kirkby Lonsdale (5)
Saturday 12 February 2022
HOME > Heath Hawks (2nd XV) > Match Report
Drop Goals
Penalty Tries
Penalty Goals

This was an excellent win against lively opposition.

Reporter: Richard Cole
Dated: 19 February 2022


Burbidge, Puttick, Whitworth, James, Barnes, Haigh, Sharp, Ward, Rowntree, Hall, Hinchliffe, Webb, Greenwood, Mollet, Gianotti.
Subs: McFadden, Griffiths, & R.Cole.



Tries: James, Puttick, Ward, Hall, Gianotti, & Sharp.
Cons: Gianotti (4).



Heath entertained Kirkby Lonsdale, with a number of changes enforced from the initial squad named. The pitch was heavy and in wet, blustery conditions it was apparent the team that controlled the ball would win. The home side started well and pressed for the first score, from a scrum move Brook Ward linked with Max Rowntree who released Ben Gianotti, only for his pass to elude Tobias Hinchliffe. After a penalty on halfway, Gareth Hall kicked into the corner, after an excellent catch and drive, Emlyn ‘The Enforcer’ James emerged with the ball for a popular score, Gianotti added the conversion. Heaths second was a carbon copy of the first try, with Mark Puttick guiding the forwards over from the back of the driving maul for a converted try. The visitors hit back, fly hacking a loose ball twice and winning the race for an unconverted try. Martyn Barnes, James Whitworth and Carter Haigh were carrying well and hitting hard in defence. After a mistake in Kirkby’s own 22, Hall dribbled the ball over the line for a well deserved score. Barnes left the field with his boot taking in water, to be replaced by the lively Owain Griffiths. Jack Mollet was pressurising his opposite number well and benefitted on a couple of occasions with breaks and turnovers. This was followed up by a great try by Ward, following his heroics last week, he broke clear thirty metres out before rounding the static fullback for a great score, neither try was converted. Half time 24-5.

Heath knew they needed to tighten up and shorten passes in deteriorating conditions. The start of the half was scrappy with neither team getting a grip of the game. Danny Greenwood, Haigh and Max Rowntree made long breaks with no end product. After a couple of good chip and chases, Heath were unlucky not to add to their lead, Greenwood beaten to the ball by a portly hooker and Hinchliffe had his head mistaken for the ball as he went to touch the ball down. Alex McFadden made his welcome return to rugby replacing James. After a couple of strong drives, Rowntree found Webb on the blindside who passed between his legs for the grateful Gianotti to scamper over and convert his own try from out wide. Sam Sharp continues to impress as a converted forward, scoring a well deserved try from close range, Gianotti converted. With both captains happy to end the game at this stage, the referee blew for time, full time 38-5.

In tough conditions and disruptions to the squad, this was an excellent win against lively opposition. We now focus our attention on Cleckheaton next Saturday. UTH 👊



The Clubhouse
North Dean
Stainland Rd

An RFU Accredited Club The Sign of a Great Pint England Rugby Stainland Lions Running Club Heath Old Boys RFU Northern Division Competitions Committee
Copyright © 2024 Heath RUFC, Halifax. All rights reserved.
Last Updated: 19 April 2024
Website by Sleepy Frog Designs