Match Report
Heath RUFC (33) vs Selby RUFC (27)
Saturday 4 January 2020
HOME > Heath Hawks (2nd XV) > Match Report
Drop Goals
Penalty Tries
Penalty Goals

Well played Lads!

Reporter: Richard Cole
Dated: 5 January 2020


Tries: Greenwood (2), Whitworth, Robinson, & Ward.
Cons: Thornton 4/5.

Heron, Whitworth, Dance, James, Ward, Dawes, Wilkinson, Barnes, Reynolds, Malik, T.Hinchliffe, Bruce, Greenwood, Thornton, Robinson.
Subs: Griffiths, Burbidge, Fairbank, Morley, & R.Cole.

Heath welcomed Selby to North Dean after the Christmas break, looking to bounce back from the disappointing result at Keighley. Heath dominated the first quarter of the game, starving the opposition of possession and pressurising Selby into mistakes. The home team had scored three tries before Selby had any sort of possession. Michael Reynolds kicked behind the winger who was surprised to see James Whitworth out pace, juggle and beat the cover to notch Heath's first try of 2020, Jack Thornton converted. Chris Robinson ran off man of the match Jack Bruce into space, got on the outside of his man before dummying and cutting in for a great unconverted try. Shortly after, Junaid Malik put in a superb long kick which was chased brilliantly by Bruce who forced a 5 metre scrum. From the scrum Malik hit Danny Greenwood on a great line who carried defenders over with him to score, Thornton converted. Heath were varying their game well and strong carries from Emlyn James, Martyn Barnes, Richard Dance and George Heron set a good platform. Selby responded with their best spell of the half and should have scored but Robinson had other ideas, hitting their winger into touch. Ben Fairbank and Oli Burbidge replaced Barnes and James after half an hour. Right on forty minutes Selby scored a converted try for a 19-7 half time score. Craig Morley and Owain Griffiths replaced Dance and Toby Hinchliffe.

Selby started the second half as they'd finished the first, using their bulk to ride tackles and offload which was unsettling the home side. This resulted in two quick fire tries to reduce the deficit to two points. Heath were struggling to contain the visitors, Max Dawes and Bruce superb in repelling the onslaught. This was until Matthew Wilkinson snapped up a loose ball and set off on a mazy 50 metre run, Brook Ward continued the attack and linked with Griffiths who was held short. Ward had followed up and he went over from the ruck, Thornton added the extras. Heath were now back in the ascendency and scored again through Greenwoods second try, converted by Thornton. From the restart Burbidge managed take their man out in the air and when he recovered from the knock was binned for foul play. Barnes replaced Dawes and Dance came back on for Heron. Selby had another spell on he attack and were rewarded with two more unconverted tries to set up a nervy last 5 minutes. Thornton and Malik both went agonisingly close to adding to the home teams tally. With time ticking down Richard Cole replaced Malik to try and stabilise the final moments. From a messy reset scrum Cole heard the last play call and cleared to touch for a deserved win.

This was a good win against a larger, spirited side who never gave up. Well played lads. 



The Clubhouse
North Dean
Stainland Rd

An RFU Accredited Club The Sign of a Great Pint England Rugby Stainland Lions Running Club Heath Old Boys RFU Northern Division Competitions Committee
Copyright © 2024 Heath RUFC, Halifax. All rights reserved.
Last Updated: 19 April 2024
Website by Sleepy Frog Designs