Match Report
Beverley (33) vs Heath RUFC (30)
Saturday 11 November 2017
HOME > 1st XV > Match Report
Drop Goals
Penalty Tries
Penalty Goals

That was a long half!

Reporter: Thomas Stanley Walton
Dated: 12 November 2017

A try in the dying seconds of an enthralling match secured a victory for Beverley and ended Heaths eight match winning run. In a tense game the referee seemed to add on a considerable amount of injury time as Beverley went in search of a win and with Heath clinging on for victory, a converted try secured the  winning bonus points with Heath securing two losing points.

Heath travelled to East Yorkshire in confident mood following some excellent results in the league which had seen them rise to second place but began the game slowly as Beverley went in search of early points and took the lead after 7 minutes with a converted try. Heath needed to respond and following some excellent runs from Ezra Hinchliffe eventually they broke the home sides defence when Jack Crabtree linked well with Jordan Bradbrook, Hinchliffe and Sam Pollard to release Eddie Cartwright who went in at the corner. Hinchliffe added the extras and Heath were level 7-7 on 18 minutes. However, from the restart Heath were caught offside and Beverley restored their lead with a kick and a score of 10-7. Heath had to respond and when Ian Downsborough won good line out ball Crabtree switched play with an inside pass to Ezra Hinchliffe and he broke clear before releasing Jordan Bradbrook who went on a run for the line. Beverley tackled hard but Bradbrook managed to slip a pass to Cartwright and he went in for a superb second try, converted by Hinchliffe, and a deserved lead of 14-10 with 25 minutes on the clock. Alex McFadden was having a storming game and from yet another run Beverley gave away a penalty as they struggled to cope with the Heath onslaught.  With Hinchliffe adding the extras Heath led 17-10 with 30 minutes on the clock. Mark Puttick and Fergus Marsden came on for McFadden and Seiffe Boussaada as the visitors went in search of extending their lead but Matt Beasty was injured in a tackle and Boussaada returned to the action. Beverely missed an opportunity to get points on the board with a penalty on 35 minutes but continued to press the Heath defence and were successful with a second penalty to reduce the arrears to 17-13 on 37 minutes. Heath responded well and scored the try of the game when from a scrum near the Beverley tryline Peter Birkett found the supporting Jack Crabtree. Then in a set move a clever inside reverse pass released Ezra Hinchliffe and his pass to Chris Moore was cleverly flicked on to the supporting Olly Cook who went in for an unconverted try and a half time lead of 22-13.

Beverley needed to get off to a good start and went in for a try on 43 minutes to reduce the arrears to 22-18 but Heath responded when after two surging runs from Jason Merrie a penalty was awarded which Hinchliffe converted, 25-18 with 50 minutes on the clock. The game was end to end as both sides looked for a score but it was Heath who took advantage of a missed call from the Beverley defence. Jack Crabtree had released the ball to the lively Callum Harriett-Brown who then slipped the ball back inside to the supporting Sam Pollard. He then chose to kick and as Beverley thought the ball was going to go dead Pollard pounced and touched down for a bonus point try and a score of 30-18 saw Heath comfortable with 60 minutes on the clock. Shortly after Matt Beasty received a yellow card and this seemed to inspire Beverley as they went in for an unconverted try to pull the score back to 23-30 with 62 minutes gone. The action came thick and fast as Beasty returned and Si Brown was introduced to replace Harriett-Brown as Heath looked to close the game down. On 74 minutes Beverley were awarded another penalty to see a score of 26-30 and Heath were now clinging on as Beverley sensed a victory. The game entered overtime with Heath defending but when Sam Pollard put in a huge clearance kick to put Heath on the attack Boussaada chased hard and Beverley knocked on and a scum to Heath in the Beverley 22 resulted. The away supporters were asking for the final whistle as the game was way passed the 80 minute mark and when Bradbrook broke for the line Beverley managed to stop him and gain the ball. They then went on a superb run turning defence into attack passing the ball along the way as Heath struggled to get a tackle in and much to the delight of the home supporters scored a try under the posts to snatch the win. After the conversion the referee blew for full time and brought an end yet another fantastic advert for Yorkshire 1 rugby. Beverley had the win and Heath had to settle for two losing bonus points and a drop to third spot in the league.



The Clubhouse
North Dean
Stainland Rd

An RFU Accredited Club The Sign of a Great Pint England Rugby Stainland Lions Running Club Heath Old Boys RFU Northern Division Competitions Committee
Copyright © 2024 Heath RUFC, Halifax. All rights reserved.
Last Updated: 22 April 2024
Website by Sleepy Frog Designs