Match Report
Heath RUFC (55) vs Adwick Le Street (5)
Saturday 10 September 2016
HOME > 1st XV > Match Report
Drop Goals
Penalty Tries
Penalty Goals

An excellent win. Good performances all-round.

Reporter: Steve Dawes
Dated: 30 November -0001
Heath 2nd xv entertained Adwick Le Street on a fine afternoon at West Vale in their second game of the season. Adwick Le Street got the game underway with a kick which did not reach the 10m line so Heath was given the chance to attack from a set scrum. The scrum was won and was passed out wide to right winger, Callum BULL, who made good ground before being tackled into touch. Although Adwick cleared their lines from the ensuing lineout, captain and fullback, Tobias HINCHLIFFE took the ball in his own half before setting off on a good, mazy run. He found centre, Jack BRUCE, in support but the ball was knocked forwards. After 8 minutes, Heath took the lead when, after a couple of strong runs by centre, Dominic HORN, the ball was quickly recycled at the breakdown and flanker Matthew WILKINSON was on hand to jink his way over the line for a try converted by Dominic HORN. 7 0 After 13 minutes, young WILKINSON pressured the Adwick outside half and tackled him well. The away side was pushed back into their own 22 and at the next breakdown, the ball was locked in the ruck and Adwick was awarded a 5m defending scrum. Heath took the ball against the head but number 8, Jack RABY, knocked on at the base of the scrum to give the opponents another chance to clear the danger. However, the ball was taken against the head once more and Jack made no mistake this time, picking up and driving for the line for a try near the corner flag, the try being converted well by Dominic HORN. 14 0 The Heath pack was now dominating proceedings particularly in the scrum and it came as no surprise when they increased their lead after 23 minutes. WILKY went on a good run and after a couple of good, quick ball recycling at subsequent breakdowns, outside half, Richard COLE passed the ball back inside to the supporting Jack RABY and, although he was tackled high, the referee, Nick LEADBEATER, played a good advantage allowing the ball to be passed to prop, Oliver COOK, to score in the corner. The conversion was missed. 19 0 From the kick off, Heath took the ball back into the Adwick half and after a number of players had their hands on the ball, second row, Emlyn JAMES took a couple of players over the line with him as he scored a good team try which was converted by Dominic HORN. 26 0. Michael DODD was then replaced by Oliver BURBRIDGE. Again, from the kick off, Oliver COOK made a good break into the Adwick half. He offloaded to a supporting player who, in turn, passed it to WILKY who skipped around the full back to score a try converted by Dominic HORN. 33 0. After 31 minutes, Heath then increased their lead after an excellent run from centre, Jack BRUCE. He passed out to Oliver COOK who was on the right wing and he trundled over for a try which was not converted. 38 0. Howard HANKS then replaced WILKY in the back row. There was no further scoring before the whistle was blown for half time. Heath 38 v 0 Adwick Le Street During the halftime interval, numerous changes were made. Nick SZADBY; Johnny SIDEBOTTOM; Martyn BARNES; John BAGLEY all entered the fray. Also, WILKY and Howard HANKS then played for Adwick. There was a quiet start to the second half but Adwick then had a period of concerted attacking possession in the Heath 22 but the home defence held firm. After 56 minutes, Heath relieved the pressure from a scrum inside their 22. The ball was kicked towards halfway and was chased down by Callum BULL who put the defender under pressure. Heath regained possession and Oliver COOK made good ground down the right wing before being tackled. The ball was recirculated and Adwick was penalised. Heath kicked to touch and gained a lineout some 15m from the opposition line. This created a platform for a period in the Adwick 22 before centre, Jack BRUCE, scored a try after a strong run. The conversion was missed. 43 0 after 57 minutes. Jack RABY; Max DAWES and Callum BULL left the field to be replaced by Gareth OWEN; Emlyn JAMES and Michael DODD. After 69 minutes, centre Dominic HORN showed his strength and pace on a run which took him to the corner for a well taken try. The conversion by Oliver COOK was unsuccessful. 48 0 After 73 minutes, centre Jack BRUCE went on another strong run avoiding 5 would be tacklers. He was eventually brought down but the ball was quickly moved away from the ruck and Richard COLE found Martyn BARNES running a good line and he scored under the posts. The try was converted by Dominic HORN. 55 0 Adwick then had a period of pressure in the Heath 22 and, after being awarded a couple of penalties, from the second which as quickly taken, a player forced his way over the try line for a consolation try which was converted. Nick LEADBEATER then brought the game to an end. Final score: Heath 2nd xv 55 v 5 Adwick Le Street This was a game played in an excellent spirit against a team which included ex Heath player, David CHADWICK and guest, Roger HAMMOND. Adwick showed tremendous spirit throughout and thoroughly deserved their try at the end. Man of the Match awards go to WILKY in the forwards who had a good game in attack and defence and scored a couple of tries; and, in the backs, both centres had excellent games but young Jack BRUCE was outstanding with some strong running and good tackling.



The Clubhouse
North Dean
Stainland Rd

An RFU Accredited Club The Sign of a Great Pint England Rugby Stainland Lions Running Club Heath Old Boys RFU Northern Division Competitions Committee
Copyright © 2024 Heath RUFC, Halifax. All rights reserved.
Last Updated: 22 April 2024
Website by Sleepy Frog Designs