Match Report
Heath RUFC (38) vs Yarnbury RUFC (12)
Saturday 23 April 2016
HOME > 1st XV > Match Report
Drop Goals
Penalty Tries
Penalty Goals

Season ends on a high.

Reporter: Tomorgar
Dated: 30 November -0001
Heath completed their league programme and an eight place finish with a workmanlike performance against visitors Yarnbury who had secured another season in Yorkshire 1 with a win last week to finish in eleventh place. Heath’s only change was on the bench where the promising Michael Reynolds was drafted in. Two high tackles from Yarnbury in the first minute gave Heath a penalty but Ezra Hinchliffe’s attempt to get them on the scoreboard went just wide. The visitors responded and Howard Hanks and Cameron Ramsden were called in to ensure they did not score with two telling tackles. Heath quickly got back on to the attack and a clever kick from Jack Crabtree on 9 minutes set up the next attack and it came as no surprise when Olly Cook received the ball out wide and danced over the line to open Heaths account with an unconverted try, 5-0 after 13 minutes. Constant pressure from Heath saw another clever through kick from Sam Polllard and Hinchliffe pounced, as the ball bobbled, to score a second try on 22 minutes and Heath led 10-0. Heath were now playing fast open rugby as Yarnbury struggled to cope and when Dom Walsh made a dash he released Peter Birkett, but his pass to Si Brown was judged forwards and a certain try was pulled back by the referee. Josh White was controlling Heath’s scrums and setting up the home side as they were dominant at set plays. Another superb clearance kick from Walsh cleared a Yarnbury attack as the visitors were working hard to get on the score sheet but a wayward pass saw Cameron Ramsden hack the ball forwards and give chase. He managed to scoop it up and release Howard Hanks to go in for Heath’s third try and a lead of 17-0 with 35 minutes played. Chris Piper and Alex McFadden were replaced by Rondene Johnson and Mark Puttick as coach Dave Harrison began to turn the screw on the team from Leeds. The second half began strongly for Heath as Ramsden went on a surging run in the first few minutes and then Crabtree evaded several tackles before releasing Hinchliffe who ran in the bonus point fourth try for Heath and a score of 24-0 after 52 minutes. Piper came back on for Olly Cook and the onslaught continued as Matt Beasty set Ian Downsborough on a charge before he released Howard Hanks for his second try on 55 minutes and a score of 31-0 and looked like it was going to be a rout. Hanks suffered an injury in scoring, so Cook returned and Michael Reynolds also replaced Dom Walsh as McFadden returned for Birkett. Reynolds was quickly into the pace of the game with two telling passes to Johnson and White but it was Yarnbury who managed to get on the score board with a try after 65 minutes, 31-5. With 10 minutes remaining, Matt Beasty was the only Heath player not to have scored a try during the season and he was desperate to get one now, which showed when he received the ball and set on a charge to the line from twenty metres out. With Yarnbury players working hard to bring him down and clinging on to him, he managed to get over the try line and score a fine try- much to his relief and the enjoyment of all the coaching staff. Hinchliffe converted and with a score of 38-5 the game was won. Yarnbury had a final score on 78 minutes to complete the scoring, 38-12, and so bring an end to the season.



The Clubhouse
North Dean
Stainland Rd

An RFU Accredited Club The Sign of a Great Pint England Rugby Stainland Lions Running Club Heath Old Boys RFU Northern Division Competitions Committee
Copyright © 2024 Heath RUFC, Halifax. All rights reserved.
Last Updated: 19 April 2024
Website by Sleepy Frog Designs