Match Report
Heath RUFC (39) vs North Ribblesdale RUFC (15)
Sunday 1 December 2013
HOME > 1st XV > Match Report
Drop Goals
Penalty Tries
Penalty Goals

At last a performance of great credit…………………….

Reporter: Thomas Stanley Walton
Dated: 30 November -0001
Heath welcomed Dales rivals North Ribblesdale to North Dean, still looking for that elusive first five point league victory - and the large following were not disappointed with the team performance. Late withdrawal from the side was Peter Birkett, work commitments, and so Dom Walsh stepped straight into the scrum half berth. In the warm up Josh Lister came down injured and so Zac Dewhirst made his first team debut on the wing, Lister reverting to the bench. From the kick off Heath were caught offside but thankfully Ribbs kicker Moon put the ball wide - but the visitors were on top of their game and Heath were struggling to come to terms with the pressure. A second penalty on 7 minutes saw Moon put the men in blue and white 3 - 0 up. Was this going to be another disappointing day at the office? From the restart, Ribb' were adjuged to have held on to the ball too long and up stepped Ezra Hinchliffe to slot over the kick, scores level 3 - 3 on 8 minutes. Both sides were struggling to find any rythmn and making silly mistakes but in one attack by Ribb their passing game saw a missed move cut out the Heath cover and Angus Carr went over in the corner for an unconverted try and the visitors were worthy leaders 8 - 3 after 15 minutes. Heath needed once again to press for a score. Hinchliffe had a good run and with Stephen Hare and Olly Cook in support nearly broke the Ribb defence. Next it was the turn of Cameron Ramsden and Zac Dewhirst to link up, before releasing Jack Sheldrake whose jinking run released Si Brown to go over in the corner for Heaths first try and pull the scores level 8 - 8 on 18 minutes - so keeping the home side in contact. As the game settled down Dewhirst was getting involved and when Ryan Hunter won good line out ball he linked well with Ewan Miller and Alex Cust before being dumped in touch. Heath were now pressing and when Dewhirst released Jack Sheldrake, his run saw Hunter involved again but his pass to Darren Neily was dropped as a try beckoned. Constant pressure was rewarded, though, when Hunter, who was dominating line out ball, won yet another, scrumhalf Dom Walsh released Olly Cook to burst through for a try, unconverted, but Heath in front 13-8 after 25 minutes and well deserved. With Chris Moore, Mark Puttick and Hamish Pratt becoming influential and enabling the backs to excel, North Ribb were struggling to come to terms but they managed to hold out as half time came. After a slow start Heath had finished the half strong and the home crowd eagerly awaited the second half. Heath picked up the second half in fine style and Hinchliffe, Dewhirst and Cook linked well before Cook ended up in touch. Next Miller, Sheldrake and Dewhirst were prominent and when Cameron Ramsden linked into the line Sheldrake was on hand to finish off a superb move on 54 minutes with another unconverted try but Heath in control 18-8. However, the visitors were not down and responded with strong pressure from the forwards and they were awarded a penalty try by the referee on 60 minutes and at 18-15 were back in a game that had seemed lost. It needed something special and when Neily picked up a ball and passed to Cook a series of slick passes involving Sheldrake, Cust and Hare, saw a Heath attack which resulted in Stephen Hare rounding off the move with a bonus point try, converted by Hinchliffe and Heath 25-15 up with 15 minutes remaining and back in control. Coach Plant made two changes at this stage with Kofi Brobbey and debutant Duncan Edwards coming on for Cook and Cust. Edwards had an immediate impact when Sheldrake and Brown linked, Brown kicked the ball through. As it rolled along the line Pratt and Hare were in support and Edwards was on hand to receive a pass from Hare to score with his first touch of the ball, 32-15 after 70 minutes. Si Brown made way for Josh Lister. Ribb were not finished and constant pressure was met by resolute defence. Heath would not concede and when Miller intercepted a pass he, Sheldrake and the rest of the players put together some fine interpassing - to go the full length of the field before Sheldrake was on hand to round off a fantastic try. Hinchliffe converted from the touchline to put the icing on the cake as the referee blew for full time and Heath ran out convincing winners 39-15. This performance was something that Heath had been promising for a while and sets up next week's visit to table toppers Doncaster Phoenix as a mouth watering encounter. Remember what happened at Driffield this time last year!!!!!!!!!!!!



The Clubhouse
North Dean
Stainland Rd

An RFU Accredited Club The Sign of a Great Pint England Rugby Stainland Lions Running Club Heath Old Boys RFU Northern Division Competitions Committee
Copyright © 2024 Heath RUFC, Halifax. All rights reserved.
Last Updated: 22 April 2024
Website by Sleepy Frog Designs