Match Report
Roundhegians Club (23) vs Heath RUFC (35)
Saturday 16 March 2013
HOME > 1st XV > Match Report
Drop Goals
Penalty Tries
Penalty Goals

Heath get there in the end.

Reporter: Tomorgar.
Dated: 30 November -0001
Heath travelled to Yorkshire 2 Side, Roundhegians, for this cup encounter, looking to progress in the competition knowing their future in Yorkshire One was already secure. Several influential players were missing due to injury but this provided a good opportunity to blood some of the young players coming through the junior ranks. Heath chose to start the match and from the kick off they charged the attempted clearance down and were quickly on the attack. Several good runs from Richardson, Watson and Moore set up a youthful-looking back row but the home side managed to hold out. On 6 minutes after a period of sustained pressure Heath gave away a penalty but the kick was way off and Heath recovered. However, this was short-lived and some woeful defensive cover from them allowed scrum half Woolaston to open the home side’s account and, with a very easy conversion, Heath were up against it, 7 – 0 after 11 minutes. Pressure from Roundhegians continued but Hinchcliffe cleared the lines with a great kick. Heath backed up and when Pollard broke clear it was Hinchliffe in support that went over for a try, converted by himself to level the scores at 7 – 7 on 17 minutes. Back came Roundhegians and when Heath’s prop, Chris Moore, held on to the ball too long for the referee and gave away a penalty in front of the posts for the home side to take the lead: 10 – 7 after 21 minutes. First Team debutant, Kris Garland, was having a sound game at hooker, taking the place of the injured Puttick, and from good lineout ball Dominic Walsh was released to go fully 50 metres before Roundhegians gave away a penalty. Heath chose to find touch and from the lineout Hunter won the ball and a try resulted from sterling work from Watson, Cook and Richardson. A superb conversion put Heath in front at 10 – 14 after 27 minutes. Back came Roundhegians and two minutes later ill-discipline from Heath presented the home side with a penalty which they converted to trail 13 – 14. It was anyone’s game at this point. A clever kick from Lomas for Brown to pick up set new centre Ewan Miller off on a run, but the move broke down. Heath kept up the pressure and after a powerful run Lomas got away and then found Moore who went over for Heath’s third try on 34 minutes. Another superb conversion from Hinchcliffe gave them a 13 – 21 lead. Roundhegians came back on the attack but Heath held firm up to half time. At the start of the second half Heath were quickly on the attack and it came as no surprise when Ewan Miller had a strong run, easily evading several tackles, to go over in the corner. Hinchcliffe obliged once again and Heath were well in control at 13 – 28. However, Roundhegians were not done and on 53 minutes a storming run from centre Trutch saw them come back 20 – 28. Heath needed to respond and went back on the attack with Wilby going off to allow Olly Collinge on. On 59 minutes, a Roundhegians penalty pulled the score back to 23 – 28. Then Miller was injured and Tom Collinge came on. The home side were desperately looking for another score and a mix-up between Walsh and Collinge plus some silly passes nearly let Roundhegians in. It was all a bit frantic as Heath clung on but old heads steadied things and gradually Heath clawed their way back into the game. From a lineout, Cook intercepted the ball and stormed away fully 30 metres for try which Hinchcliffe converted to make the score 23 – 35 on 75 minutes. This was the final result.



The Clubhouse
North Dean
Stainland Rd

An RFU Accredited Club The Sign of a Great Pint England Rugby Stainland Lions Running Club Heath Old Boys RFU Northern Division Competitions Committee
Copyright © 2024 Heath RUFC, Halifax. All rights reserved.
Last Updated: 19 April 2024
Website by Sleepy Frog Designs