Match Report
Heath RUFC (36) vs Pontefract RUFC (42)
Saturday 13 October 2012
HOME > 1st XV > Match Report
Drop Goals
Penalty Tries
Penalty Goals

Last 20 - how we can play!

Reporter: Tomgar
Dated: 30 November -0001
Injury in training to Ed Moran saw Olly Collinge come into the backrow. Also, the experienced Richard Cole came on to the bench. A brighter start from both sides, with Heath having a great kick-off. There was some superb play, again from both sides, and Heath’s Si Brown nearly intercepted a pass – from which he would have gone over between the posts. And only 2 minutes gone! Continued pressure from Heath and good work from prop Olly Cook released Jeff Jones, who held onto the ball long enough to draw in the Ponte’ defence. He then released scrumhalf Dom Walsh, who in turn passed the ball to Ryan Hunter. He realised he could not make the line and winger Luke Clogher took over, kicked the ball through and Dave Montgomery backed up to touch down for an excellent try. The conversion was missed but, none the less, a good start for Heath. Score 5 - 0. However, Ponte’ had other thoughts and immediately put on the pressure as Heath struggled to combat the visitors’ strong pack. On 12 minutes, ex-England A-team player, Derek Eves, caught a line-out ball and went over in the corner, converted and Ponte’ led 7 - 5. From the kick-off, Pontefract mounted yet another attack and several missed tackles from Heath saw Spears go over, after 14 minutes, converted by Dean and 14 - 5 the score. From the restart, Hunter gathered and released prop James Watson on a surging run, resulting in Ponte’ giving away a penalty and Lomas obliging with the kick. 14 - 8 (15 mins). Ezra Hinchliffe, on 20 minutes, made a superb tackle to prevent a certain score and this seemed to lift Heath and, following a kick through, Brown just failed to touch down. Five minutes more and Heath pulled back into the game, after Ponte’ offside and Lomas converting from half-way. Score now 14 - 11. However, from the kick off, the visitors gathered and, once again, some inept tackling saw them score another try, converted, and move the score on to 21 - 11 after 27 minutes. Heath’s immediate reply was a Lomas penalty, pulling the score back to 21 – 14, with all to play for. Pontefract attacked again and, when Watson, Hunter and Jeff Jones pushed the hooker away from the try line and Walsh cleared, it looked as if the danger was over. However, the visitors’ full-back caught the ball and passed along a strong line for them to go over in the opposite corner for a converted try. The visitors extending their lead to 28 - 14 on 38 minutes. The game had gone from end to end but Ponte’s defence stood firm, giving away only penalties, while Heath failed to put in the tackles and were duly punished. Half-time, winger Brown came off and was replaced by Rob Thackeray. However, this was short-lived as centre Ben Littlewood pulled a groin and Brown was back on 42 minutes. Ponte’ attacked and only another superb cover tackle from Hinchliffe prevented another try. Walsh cleared, but the visitors continued pressing so it came as no surprise when Eves went over, following a line-out in the corner, on 50 minutes. This was again converted for a lead of 35 - 14. Heath needed to regroup and start playing - otherwise it could turn into another rout. But, respond they did. And when Hetherington kicked through, wing Dedicote put the ball back into touch. The resulting line out was taken by Jones and, from the drive, Heath went over for a try from Cook. Converted by Lomas, and 35 - 21 the score on 55 minutes. Ponte’ hit straight back with a try under the posts, 42 - 21 on 57 minutes and Heath rang the changes. Cole came on at scrumhalf for Walsh and Richardson for Hunter. This seemed to have an impact, and, following yet another pounding run from Jones, backed up by another run from Hinchliffe, Jamie Richardson took advantage of the visitor’s indecision and scored a well taken try, converted by Lomas. Score now 42 – 28 on 65 minutes. Ill-discipline from Ponte’ gave away a penalty, which Hetherington put into the corner. A great tackle from Olly Collinge, saw run around ball from Jones and then Montgomery dive over for an unconverted try. The score was now 42 - 33 with 12 minutes left and Pontefract were looking rattled. Heath were now rampant and sensing a further score as Ponte’ began to tire. Six minutes on and a penalty to Heath was converted by Lomas. Score 42 – 36 and Heath well on top and continuing to press. For the spectators, the tension unbearable as the ball was thrown from side to side and the whole team threw everything at the visitors’ defence but, despite several close shaves, they held firm and ran out winners, by the closest of margins. Heath showed just what they were capable of and have been threatening to do all year – but, really, only in the final stages of the game. A bit more consistency from the off and the W’s will follow – though 2 bonus points were still picked up on the day. Here's the link to the Courier Report./



The Clubhouse
North Dean
Stainland Rd

An RFU Accredited Club The Sign of a Great Pint England Rugby Stainland Lions Running Club Heath Old Boys RFU Northern Division Competitions Committee
Copyright © 2024 Heath RUFC, Halifax. All rights reserved.
Last Updated: 22 April 2024
Website by Sleepy Frog Designs