Match Report
Heath RUFC (23) vs Bradford Salem (16)
Saturday 21 January 2012
HOME > 1st XV > Match Report
Drop Goals
Penalty Tries
Penalty Goals

Back with a win, after the 'weather'.

Reporter: Spud Taylor.
Dated: 30 November -0001
Heath 2nd xv entertained league-leaders, Bradford Salem, at West Vale on a cool, blustery afternoon on a pitch which was in good condition considering recent weather. Heath made a perfect start when they took the lead within 2 minutes. They were awarded a penalty just outside their own ‘22’ which captain and full back, Mick GLEESON kicked deep into the Salem half. Possession was gained from the ensuing line out and the forwards drove the ball in for 3 phases before second row, Emlyn JAMES ran through a gap in the Salem defence and then passed back inside to prop, Joe COX, who scored some 15 metres to the side of the posts. The conversion by Mick GLEESON was unsuccessful but a good start. 5 – 0 From the kick off, flanker Oliver COLLINGE passed the ball to number 8, Marc SHICKELL who made 30 metres before being tackled. The ball was passed down the backline and right winger, Matthew COOK, picked it up well before setting off on a run down the touchline. He got very close to the try line before being stopped in his tracks. Salem were penalised for offside in the backs at the resulting ruck and Mick GLEESON made no mistake. 8 – 0 The Heath boys had started really well and they increased their lead after 13 minutes. From an attacking lineout on the Salem ‘22’, the visitors were penalised and then marched back a further 10 metres after backchat to referee, Shaughn BEVAN. A quick tap penalty was taken and passed to prop Oliver COOK on the left wing. He used his bulk to pass a couple of Salem defenders before scoring near the corner flag. The difficult conversion was missed. 13 – 0 After 19 minutes, Salem made their first real foray into Heath territory and were awarded a penalty some 20 metres out in front of the posts which was converted by the full back. 13 – 3. After 25 minutes Heath increased their lead from a penalty for offside under the posts only some 18 metres out . Mick GLEESON was the kicker. 16 – 3. From the kick off, Heath let the ball bounce and it found touch some 30 metres from the home line. Salem won the lineout and this triggered a period of intense forwards pressure in the Heath ‘22’. They were awarded a number of penalties and 5 metre scrums and the Heath defence held out for 7 minutes until one of the Salem forwards was able to ground the ball over the line for an unconverted try. 16 – 8 after 32 minutes. There was no further addition to the score before the referees whistle blew for half time. Half time score: Heath 16 v 8 Salem During the interval, second row Ben BOTTOMLEY was replaced by Ryan HUNTER and flanker Richard DANCE was replaced by Will NICHOLSON. Heath made a bright start to the second half and pinned Salem in their own half. After 48 minutes, Matthew COOK was replaced on the wing by 17 years old debutant, Lewis McKENZIE, a product of the under 17’s. He was called into action shortly afterwards when he had to chase a kick back towards his own ‘22’ and, although impeded when trying to regain his feet after securing the ball, he showed good skill in allowing his team mates to get to the breakdown and secure the ball which was subsequently cleared. After 53 minutes Oliver COOK was involved in a tussle with the Salem number 6 and both were sent to the sidelines for a 10 minute cooling off period. Emlyn JAMES then stepped up to replacement prop. Heath still appeared in control of the game at this time but it was Salem who reduced the deficit with a penalty just inside the ‘22’ after 57 minutes. 16 – 11. Again, Heath then continued to keep Salem in their own half and after 63 minutes had an opportunity to add to their tally when they were awarded a penalty some 35 metres out. This was moved forwards a further 10 metres when Salem disputed the decision. However, outside half, Ezra HINCHLIFFE just pulled the kick to the left of the posts. Oliver COOK then returned to the game with the Salem sin binned player. After 66 minutes, Heath then put a little daylight between themselves and Salem with a converted try. The ball was won at an attacking lineout some 30 metres out. The ball was passed to Ezra HINCHLIFFE who did a couple of dummy moves with his centres before then straightening up and ghosting through the Salem defence to score and excellent individual try to the side of the posts converted by Mick GLEESON. 23 – 11. After 73 minutes, Richard COLE replaced Tom COLLINGE at scrum half. With 2 minutes remaining, Salem were awarded a penalty on halfway. They found touch on the Heath ‘22’. The Salem forwards secured the ball and after numerous ‘pick and drives’ they were able to force their way over the line for an unconverted try which proved to be the last action in an entertaining game. Final score: Heath 23 v 16 Salem. This was a very good all round performance by the Heath boys. Salem had a very workmanlike pack who caused problems in both tight and loose but Heath did extremely well to restrict them to 2 periods of pressure and 2 tries during these periods. Heath dominated the majority of the first half and played smart rugby in the second period to keep Salem in their own half for long periods. Man of the Match awards go to flanker, Oliver COLLINGE, who was outstanding in the loose putting in some good runs, excellent tackles and doing a lot of the dirty work at the breakdown. In the backs, brother Tom COLLINGE proved an excellent link between forwards and backs and, although Heath were under pressure at the scrums, Tom was able to clear up well at the base of them.



The Clubhouse
North Dean
Stainland Rd

An RFU Accredited Club The Sign of a Great Pint England Rugby Stainland Lions Running Club Heath Old Boys RFU Northern Division Competitions Committee
Copyright © 2024 Heath RUFC, Halifax. All rights reserved.
Last Updated: 22 April 2024
Website by Sleepy Frog Designs