Match Report
Heath RUFC (34) vs Keighley RUFC (5)
Saturday 7 January 2012
HOME > 1st XV > Match Report
Drop Goals
Penalty Tries
Penalty Goals

A good win after a long Xmas break.

Reporter: Spud Taylor.
Dated: 30 November -0001
Heath 2nd xv played their first game in 5 weeks and entertained Keighley 3rd xv in a Merit game at West Vale. The game was played on a surprisingly good surface with a slight wind assistance to the home side in the first half. After 2 minutes, Heath were awarded a penalty in front of the opposition posts and full back and skipper, Mick GLEESON obliged. 3 0. Unfortunately, prop Jim McCready had to leave the field with an Achilles injury to be replaced by Oliver COOK who was acting as replacement for the 1st xv on the adjacent pitch. After 13 minutes, Heath extended their lead when a long kick to the Keighley left was fielded by the young left winger who was then caught in possession. The ball was stripped from him and transferred to Heath right winger, Richard ARMSTRONG, who galloped to score a try between the posts and the touchline which was well converted by Mick GLEESON. 10 0. After 17 minutes, Heath extended their lead. The ball was passed down the line from right to left and then moved back to the right via Junaid MALIK and the back line. The ball was passed all the way along to the right touchline where replacement prop, Oliver COOK, took it 25 metres out and ran with the power and strength we all know he possesses and burst past defenders before scoring a try near the corner. The try was converted by Mick GLEESON. 17 -0. Heath were well and truly on top in all aspects of the game other than at the scrum and line out where the Keighley forwards worked well as a unit. After 30 minutes, Heath had a good passage of play when Mick GLEESON made a break and linked with his centres, Junaid MALIK and Andy WHITE before the ball went to left winger, Josh LISTER. He made ground and passed it back inside on tackle but the pass was knocked on. This was the second occasion where Heath had created a good scoring opportunity but the final pass had gone to ground. After 36 minutes, the ball was passed down the line and winger, Josh LISTER made good ground and took on the full back. Unfortunately. Some 10 metres from the line, he was held and the ball popped out of his grasp. Another opportunity was lost. On the stroke of half time, Heath had a good attacking position with a line out in the Keighley 22. The ball was tapped back by Keighley and was passed to the young left winger who was well and truly hammered by second row, Ben BOTTOMLEY, behind his own line. Unfortunately, the half came to an end with no addition to the score sheet. At half time, Ryan HUNTER replaced number 8, Richard DANCE with Ryan playing in the second row and Emlyn JAMES moving to number 8. Heath had had numerous opportunites in the first half to put this game to bed but had failed to do so. Heath had a perfect start to the second half when, after 42 minutes, they won their own under-pressure scrum just inside the Keighley half and scrum half, Tom COLLINGE was able to get out a brilliant pass to outside half, Phil TAYLOR, who then passed to Junaid MALIK who ran an excellent line back towards the forwards and with no hands placed upon him, he scored a good try in the right corner. The conversion was unsuccessful. 22 0. Shortly afterwards, Keighley were awarded a penalty some 28 metres out. They elected to kick but the ball drifted wide of the left hand post. After 53 minutes, wing forward, Richard HOPKINSON left the field to be replaced by Richard DANCE. After 55 minutes, Heath increased their lead when the Keighley side was put under pressure by the home side in possession near the halfway line. Prop, Joe COX, made good ground before the ball was passed out to Josh LISTER who scampered over near the posts. The conversion was unsuccessful. 27 0. After 62 minutes, Heath scored another good try when Junaid MALIK made a break on the right. He passed to right winger Richard ARMSTRONG who sprinted behind the posts for a try converted by Mick GLEESON. 34 0 After 68 minutes, Heath took a strike against the head and number 8, Emlyn JAMES picked up from the base of a scrum, dummied to the openside wing forward and made 25 metres before offloading to the supporting Tom COLLINGE but the ball was dropped. After this passage of play, Emlyn left the field to be replaced by Richard HOPKINSON. Keighley then had their best spell of the game. They became encamped in the Heath 22 for several minutes being awarded a number of penalties. During this period, Richard HOPKINSON had to leave the field with a leg injury to be replaced by Emlyn JAMES. The Heath defence held out for some time before the Keighley number 8 was able to score a try from a further 5 metre penalty. The conversion was missed. 34 5 after 77 minutes. The referee, Peter FAIRLESS , blew his whistle shortly afterwards to bring the game to a conclusion Final score: Heath 34 v 5 Keighley. This was a convincing win for the Heath boys who were always in control of proceedings. All the lads seemed to enjoy the game which was good to see. A very good, solid performance by the 17 Heath boys. Man of the match awards go to centre, Junaid MALIK, who showed his skill of being able to determine exactly when to take the ball on or pass it and tackle effectively throughout; and, in the forwards, open side wing forward, Oliver COLLINGE had an outstanding game getting to the breakdown and securing possession for the home side and also carrying the ball well on numerous occasions.



The Clubhouse
North Dean
Stainland Rd

An RFU Accredited Club The Sign of a Great Pint England Rugby Stainland Lions Running Club Heath Old Boys RFU Northern Division Competitions Committee
Copyright © 2024 Heath RUFC, Halifax. All rights reserved.
Last Updated: 19 April 2024
Website by Sleepy Frog Designs