Match Report
Heath RUFC (19) vs Huddersfield RUFC (8)
Saturday 26 November 2011
HOME > 1st XV > Match Report
Drop Goals
Penalty Tries
Penalty Goals

Good win in poor conditions.

Reporter: Spud Taylor.
Dated: 30 November -0001
Heath 2nd xv entertained Huddersfield 3rd xv in a league game at West Vale played on a horrible, wet afternoon but before a decent-sized crowd. Heath got the game underway and showed the better attacking intent in the first 10 15 minutes but they got themselves into good attacking positions and then gave away silly penalties thus reducing the pressure on the Huddersfield side. However, after 15 minutes Heath took the lead. They gained a foothold in the Huddersfield 22 and were awarded a free kick some 15 metres out. Second row, Emlyn JAMES, took a quick tap and although tackled, the ball was recycled and passed right to prop, Oliver COOK who beat a couple of tackles to score in the corner. The conversion by skipper, Mick GLEESON fell just short. 5 0. Almost straight from the kick off, Huddersfield had a good opportunity to reduce the deficit with the award of a penalty just outside the 22 and to the left of the posts. However, the outside half missed to the left of the posts and the score remained unchanged. Huddersfield continued to grow in confidence and had more share of the ball. However, the Heath defence was solid and they never looked like scoring a try. After 32 minutes though, Huddersfield did open their account when the outside half slotted a penalty from in front of the posts. 5 3. After 38 minutes, the visitors took a very unlikely score when the outside half put in a deep, high kick which bounced in front of Mick GLEESON virtually on the try line. It bounced straight back into the arms of the kicker who was able to score a try out wide. The conversion was missed. 5 8. Half time: Heath 5 v 8 Huddersfield Will NICHOLSON replaced Steven RICHARDSON in the back row during the interval and Heath knew that they had to raise their game after a fairly flat first half performance. The second half started well for the home side. Mick GLEESON kicked deep into Huddersfield territory from just outside his 22 and play resulted in an attacking scrum for Heath just inside the visitors 22. The scrum was won and the ball was passed out to centre, Andy WHITE, who ran it in. The ball was won by the Heath pack and transferred left where full back, Mark MATTOCK, entered the line with purpose and he found prop Oliver COOK on the left and he scored his second try of the game. An excellent conversion from the touchline by Mick GLEESON followed. 12 8 after 43 minutes. After 48 minutes, debutant right winger, Miles FAIRBANK set off on a penetrating run along the touchline. When he was tackled, he managed to kick the ball over the try line and a foot chase between Mick GLEESON and the Huddersfield scrum half followed with the scrum half just pipping Mick to the ball to secure a 22 drop out. After 55 minutes, left winger, Richard ARMSTRONG was replaced by Kyle LISTER. A few minutes later, prop, Roger HAMMOND had to leave the field with an arm injury. He was replaced by David PIDGEON who went to hooker with Alan DOBSON then moving over to prop. Heath then made their final replacement when 2nd team captain, Richard COLE, replaced Tom COLLINGE at scrum half. Debutant number 8, Marc SHICKELL, was beginning to put in some strong, ground-gaining runs but both teams were defending strongly in increasingly worse weather conditions which were not condusive to open, flowing, rugby. Miles FAIRBABK was unlucky not to score on a couple of occasions. Firstly, he ran strongly down his wing and kicked through to touch the ball down over the line. Unfortunately, play was brought back for a line out due to him being adjudged to have placed a foot in touch. On the second occasion, he again ran strongly with the ball and looked to have managed to place the ball down over the line after being tackled but the visitors were awarded a scrum from which they cleared their lines. After 77 minutes, Heath did increase their lead. The forwards took the ball forwards through 3 phases before it was passed out to the backs where centre, Junaid MALIK, took the ball into contact before offloading to Mark MATTOCK who showed his silky skills to score a well-taken try under the posts. The try was converted by Mick GLEESON. 19 8. No further addition to the scoreline was made before referee, Paul OLSSON, brought the game to an end. Final score: Heath 19 v 8 Huddersfield After a poor first half display, the Heath lads put in a good, solid second half performance which enabled them to claim a well-deserved victory. Man of the match awards go to Oliver COLLINGE at wing forward who had an excellent game in the loose and also in the lineout where he took good ball; and also prop, Oliver COOK who scored a couple of good tries.



The Clubhouse
North Dean
Stainland Rd

An RFU Accredited Club The Sign of a Great Pint England Rugby Stainland Lions Running Club Heath Old Boys RFU Northern Division Competitions Committee
Copyright © 2024 Heath RUFC, Halifax. All rights reserved.
Last Updated: 22 April 2024
Website by Sleepy Frog Designs