Match Report
Wath on Dearne (44) vs Heath RUFC (12)
Saturday 5 March 2011
HOME > 1st XV > Match Report
Drop Goals
Penalty Tries
Penalty Goals

Poor first half leads to downfall.

Reporter: Spud Taylor.
Dated: 30 November -0001
Heath 2nd xv travelled to Wath with no less than 6 changes to the selected side for what was always going to be a difficult game against a strong, youthful Wath side. Also, they travelled with 15 players only. Heath played downhill against the wind in the first half and showed good defensive qualities for the opening 15 minutes where most of the game was played in Heath territory. However, Wath opened the scoring with a straightforward penalty after 16 minutes. 0 – 3. Wath continued to dictate matters and Heath were being beaten up front where the home forwards were on top being quicker to the breakdown and outrucking Heath. After 26 minutes, centre Tom COLLINGE kicked deep in an attempt to relieve the pressure. The ball was run back by the home side at pace and with skill and a try was scored some 10 metres to the side of the posts. The conversion was missed. 0 – 8. After 30 minutes, the home side scored a further converted try. The ball was passed down the line and then kicked through towards the Heath line. Young winger, Kyle LISTER, covered back well and was able to secure the ball and pass it back for full back, Matthew COOK, to clear his lines. Unfortunately, young COOKIE knocked the ball forwards and from the resulting 5 metres scrum, the big number 8 picked up at the base of the scrum and crashed over. 0 – 15. After 35 minutes, Wath increased their lead with an unconverted try which came as a result of simple, basic rugby. 0 – 20. There was no further addition to the score before the referee brought the first half to an end. Heath had not ‘turned up’ in the first half. This was a lethargic performance with very few players coming out with credit. After a few home truths, the team were left in no doubt that they had to increase their performance levels in the second half. They did just that. Heath kicked off and Wath knocked – on. Heath managed to secure the ball and made ground with good forward driving. Flanker Martyn BARNES passed the ball to hooker, Gareth OWEN who made a good break into the ‘22’. He was stopped 5 metres from the line but was able to pass outside to supporting emergency prop, Emlyn JAMES who was tackled without the ball. A penalty try was awarded and the offender was despatched to the ‘bin’ for 10 minutes. Matthew COOK converted. 7 – 20. Heath continued to play with spirit but the deficit was increased after 47 minutes when Heath lost possession in the Wath half. The home second row forward ran with purpose and made good ground before the ball was taken on by the backs and after excellent interpassing, a converted try was scored near the posts. 7 – 27. Heath continued to pose much more of a threat and increased their tally after 53 minutes. Matthew COOK found an excellent touch in the home ‘22’ from a penalty. The line out throw was over the top and the ball was secured by Martyn BARNES. He drove the ball in and Emlyn JAMES drove the ball in with purpose. The ball was released to outside half, Mick GLEESON who cleverly passed it back inside to the supporting prop, Oliver COOK, who barged over from 10 metres. The conversion was missed. 12 – 27. Shortly afterwards, Heath had a scrum on their own ‘22’ . The ball squirted out at the side and was picked up by the Wath ‘8’ who made ground before offloading to the supporting flanker who looked a certain scorer. However, young COOKIE not only tackled him but also held him up over the line. Excellent play by the full back. From a good attacking position in the Wath ‘22’, Heath were hit by a good break out by the home side. The ball was kicked deep and young COOKIE had difficulty securing the ball. He was then caught in possession and the ball was turned over and the right winger scored a try which was not converted. 12 – 32 after 63 minutes. Wath scored two further tries, one of which was converted, to bring the score to 12 – 44 before prop Oliver COOK left the field with a leg injury and the last few minutes were played with uncontested scrums. Final score: Wath 44 v 12 Heath. After an extremely disappointing first half, Heath bucked-up their ideas in the second half showing the usual commitment and effort which is their trait. However, they were beaten by a better Wath side on the day. Man of the match awards go to flanker, Will NICHOLSON who put in a superb tackling stint and scrum half, Neil FRANCIS who was a good link between the forwards and backs and kept Heath going forwards taking quick tap penalties and making sniping runs to get Heath on the front foot.



The Clubhouse
North Dean
Stainland Rd

An RFU Accredited Club The Sign of a Great Pint England Rugby Stainland Lions Running Club Heath Old Boys RFU Northern Division Competitions Committee
Copyright © 2024 Heath RUFC, Halifax. All rights reserved.
Last Updated: 22 April 2024
Website by Sleepy Frog Designs