Match Report
Dinnington (7) vs Heath RUFC (30)
Saturday 16 January 2010
HOME > 1st XV > Match Report
Drop Goals
Penalty Tries
Penalty Goals

First game after a long layoff - better results now expected

Reporter: Spud Taylor.
Dated: 30 November -0001
Heath 2nd xv played their first game since 21/11/09 when they travelled to Dinnington to play a league fixture. The game was played on a cold, overcast afternoon but the pitch was in very good condition considering the recent weather. Heath put the hosts under pressure from the kick off but never really threatened the home line. Dinnington forced their way into the Heath half and were awarded a penalty some 22 metres out which was duly converted. 0-3 after 12 minutes. After this, Dinnington then took a foothold in the Heath half with good driving play by their pack which was playing well as a unit. The pressure eventually told when, after 20 minutes, after a number of pick and drives, the home side forced their way over near to the touchline. The conversion was missed. 0-8. Dinnington continued to pressurise the Heath line but the Heath defence repelled the danger. After 34 minutes, Robert CASEY, a friend of Ryan Hunter who was visiting the area entered the fray at outside half with winger, David PIDGEON, making way and forcing a reshuffle in the back line. However, the home side increased their lead shortly afterwards through their driving pack. The conversion was missed. 0-13. Ian CRAIGEN, hooker, had to leave the field with a rib injury and he was replaced by Dave ALLEN. Heath were awarded a penalty some 40 metres out and the decision was to go for the points. Young Matthew COOK judged the wind to perfection but the ball hit the crossbar. Shortly afterwards the half time whistle sounded. 0-13. Flanker, James LORD, left the field with a knee injury to be replaced by Dave PIDGEON who took up his position on the wing with skipper, Karl RABY, moving into the pack. Heath made a positive start to the second half with centre, Martin SHAW, making a good break into the Dinnington half. He passed to scrum half, Andy WHITE, who skilfully flicked the ball on to Karl RABY who made further ground before it was dropped. Dinnington then immediately took the ball deep into Heath territory. They were held up over the line and from the resulting 5 metre scrum, the ball was passed out to the strong-running centre who crossed near the touchline. The conversion was missed. 0-18 after 43 minutes. Heath then got on the scoresheet. They forced their way upfield into the home ‘22’ where they were awarded a penalty some 8 metres out. The ball was quickly tapped and passed out to the isolated Richard DANCE who was tackled by several home defenders. The ball was turned-over but the resulting clearance kick went only about 10 metres. The ball was then hacked away by the home defence with prop, Rick CARTER, then securing it on the ground. The ball was fed to Robert CASEY who beat one defender before braking a tackle and then feeding the supporting Oliver COOK on the outside, who ran over the line to score a good try. His younger brother, Matthew, then ensured that the try was worth 7 points with an excellent conversion. 7-18 after 50 minutes. Was the fightback on?? Unfortunately, it was the home side who increased their lead within 3 minutes. Heath were penalised on halfway and the scrum half took a quick tap penalty. He fed the winger who was bundled into touch near the try line. From the resulting line out, the ball was secured by the Dinnington pack who then drove over the line for a further unconverted try. 7-23 after 53 minutes. At this point, prop Roger HAMMOND left the field to be replaced by colt, Steve RICHARDSON. Another colt, Lewis FISHER went into the front row and young RICHARDSON went into the second row. Dinnington continued to boss the proceedings and scored a converted try after 74 minutes which brought the scoring to an end. Full time score 7 v 30. The home side deserved this victory with their pack playing as a unit whereas the Heath pack seemed to lack the drive and cohesion of their counterparts. That said, it was good to get a game of rugby under their belts and we look forward to a better scoreline next week away at Wheatley Hills. Man of the Match awards go to young Matthew COOK who made his 2nd xv debut at full back (and winger for part of the game). He was secure under the high ball and showed some neat touches when he had the ball. This was only his second senior game and he looks a good prospect for the future. The forwards man of the match goes to Matthews’ older brother, Oliver, who scored a try and put – in some good tackles, one in particular late in the first half when he met the opposition number 8, who was a big unit, head-on and, not only did he stop him, he stripped him of the ball.



The Clubhouse
North Dean
Stainland Rd

An RFU Accredited Club The Sign of a Great Pint England Rugby Stainland Lions Running Club Heath Old Boys RFU Northern Division Competitions Committee
Copyright © 2024 Heath RUFC, Halifax. All rights reserved.
Last Updated: 19 April 2024
Website by Sleepy Frog Designs