Match Report
Heath RUFC (41) vs Dinnington (10)
Saturday 3 October 2009
HOME > 1st XV > Match Report
Drop Goals
Penalty Tries
Penalty Goals

The results are coming.

Reporter: Spud Taylor.
Dated: 30 November -0001
Heath 2nd xv entertained Dinnington 2nd xv in their 3rd league game of the season. The match was played on a good, firm pitch on a dry day, but with a gale blowing directly down the length of the pitch towards West Vale. Heath elected to play with the wind advantage in the first period. The first few minutes were looking quite ominous as the big Dinnington ‘8’ were keeping the ball and making good ground against the strong wind. However, it was the home side who opened the scoring when, after 7 minutes, the ball was kept well by the home pack with prop, Oliver COOK, scoring a try with a barnstorming run and an excellent conversion following from young stand off, Eddie CARTWRIGHT. 7-0. After 14 minutes, the Dinnington scrum half reduced the lead to 7-3 with a penalty awarded for ‘holding-on’ some 20 metres out. Heath, with the assistance of the wind, began to dictate proceedings but were finding it difficult to break down a stubborn Dinnington defence. After 25 minutes, they increased their lead when captain for the day, centre Martin WHITE, made good ground before being brought down just short of the line. He was able place the ball behind him allowing his brother, scrum half, Andy WHITE, to pick up and dive over for a try, which was converted by Eddie CARTWRIGHT. 14-3. Heath continued to put pressure on the Dinnington line and were further rewarded with a converted penalty by Eddie CARTWRIGHT for a high tackle. 17-3 after 28 minutes. After 34 minutes, Eddie CARTWRIGHT made an excellent break from just inside the Dinnington half and had the speed and footwork to outstrip the Dinnington defence to score an excellent try near to the posts. He duly converted the try himself. 24-3. Heath were now rampant and an excellent, bone-crunching tackling from young Stuart NELSON, playing out of position on the right wing, epitomised the spirit of the Heath boys during the first period and kept the away side pinned in their own half. After 39 minutes, Eddie CARTWRIGHT made ground down the right flank , the ball was recycled and wing forward, David PIDGEON, was up in support to pick up and score a try by the corner flag. This was increased by an excellent touchline conversion from Eddie CARTWRIGHT. 31-3. There was more to come before the half time whistle blew when Heath were awarded a penalty in their own half. This was taken quickly by impressive scrum half, Andy WHITE, who passed the ball to centre, Martin SHAW, who set off on one of his trademark, strong runs and beat a number of defenders before putting the ball down just to the side of the posts. Young CARTWRIGHT converted once more to bring the half to a very satisfactory conclusion. 38-3. Heath made wholesale changes at half time giving a run out to the boys who had been unable to get a game with the 3rd team that, unfortunately, had to cry off the away fixture with Dinnington on Friday due to lack of numbers. The home side then lost a little cohesion with all of the changes and after 47 minutes, the Dinnington number 8, made good ground before scoring a good, converted try at the side of the posts. The replacement centre kicked the conversion. 38-10. However, the Heath boys regrouped and although Dinnington came more to the fore in the second half, the Heath lads never looked in any serious trouble. After 62 minutes, Heath were awarded a penalty just outside the Dinnington ‘22’ which was converted by Eddie CARTWRIGHT. 41-10. Further changes were made by both sides and the game then petered out after a somewhat stalemate. Final score. Heath 41 v Dinnington 10. This was an excellent, confidence-building victory for the Heath lads whose impressive first half display laid the foundations for the success. It is to be hoped that the team can be blessed with some continuity over the next few weeks in order to allow the boys to build-up, an already obvious, team spirit. After the very difficult season endured by the Heath lads last year, it was a pleasure to see the boys playing with a smile on their faces again. Long may it continue. This was a performance in which all 21 players made good contributions. Man of the match awards go to Michael STEAD who gave a forceful display in the second row on his first appearance of the season and centre, Martin SHAW who put in some excellent tackles and also made a number of strong, bullocking runs.



The Clubhouse
North Dean
Stainland Rd

An RFU Accredited Club The Sign of a Great Pint England Rugby Stainland Lions Running Club Heath Old Boys RFU Northern Division Competitions Committee
Copyright © 2024 Heath RUFC, Halifax. All rights reserved.
Last Updated: 19 April 2024
Website by Sleepy Frog Designs