Match Report
Selby RUFC (32) vs Heath RUFC (3)
Saturday 5 September 2009
HOME > 1st XV > Match Report
Drop Goals
Penalty Tries
Penalty Goals

Despite the loss, a promising start from the newcomers.

Reporter: Spud Taylor.
Dated: 30 November -0001
Heath 2nd xv started their 2009-10 campaign with a trip to Selby in a friendly fixture. The pitch was in excellent condition and the game took place on a fine, sunny afternoon with a strong cross-field wind. Outside half, Andy WHITE, got the game underway. After a quiet start, the big, strong Selby centre made a break through a number of attempted tackles taking play deep into the Heath half. Second phase ball was secured by the Hosts and was spun wide to the right winger who scored near the corner flag. The conversion was missed. 0-5 after 5 minutes. Play was even for the next 10 minutes but then the Heath boys exerted pressure on the home side leading to the awarding of 3 successive penalties, the last of which was successfully converted by Oliver COOK from 15 metres out. 3-5 after 15 minutes. Newcomers, James LORD in the back row and Riz MUGHAL on the left wing settled in well putting in some good, hard tackles in this first period of the game. However, Selby increased their lead when Heath won a 5 metre scrum in their own 22 but the relieving kick only found the left winger some 30 metres out. He chipped over the top towards the corner flag. There appeared to be no danger but no-one laid claim to the ball in the air, which was allowed to bounce on the Heath line. It was then gratefully received by the winger who scored an unconverted try in the corner. 3-10 after 17 minutes. Heath came back into the game and, once more, spent a period in the home 22. They were awarded a couple of penalties from the second of which Oliver COOK drove the ball to the home line. A couple of further drives followed but they were unable to breach the home defence and the ball was cleared. After 25 minutes, the strong Selby centre made another break down the middle of the pitch before offloading to his support. The ball was then quickly passed to the left where the full back scored near the corner flag. Again, the conversion was missed. 3-15. Heath then had a couple of attempts at goal from a distance of 35 metres by Oliver COOK but both just drifted to the left of the posts. On the stroke of half time, the Selby centre made yet another strong break down the right touchline evading a number of attempted tackles before placing the ball over the line. Conversion missed. 3-20 at half time. Shortly after half time, skipper Karl RABY replaced Lewis FISHER in the 2nd row and prop Dave ALLEN was replaced by Dan INGHAM who went into the 2nd row allowing Oliver COOK to move up to prop. The Heath lads were predominantly defending but were tackling well, keeping out the opposition. After 57 minutes, Heath made a good attacking foray into the Selby 22 with centre, Rob THACKRAY prominent. They were unable to build on this initial platform and the Selby forwards then pick and drove the ball from their own 22 to the Heath 10 metre line. The ball was then kicked towards the Heath left corner flag where a lack of communication between young MUGHAL and full back, Ryan HUNTER led to a collision between the two. The ball bounced on the ground and was collected by the Selby right winger who scored 10 metres in from the touchline. The try was well converted. 3-27 after 59 minutes. Prop Dave ALLEN returned replacing Rick CARTER in the front row. After 63 minutes, the Selby forwards trundled up the pitch. The ball was passed out to the backs and the centre once more gained good ground before offloading to the supporting full back who scored in the corner. Conversion missed. 3-32. The Heath lads kept their heads up and continued to play with spirit. They had a short period of pressure in the 70th minute. The backs moved the ball right and the forwards secured possession. James LORD had a couple of strong drives in quick succession and the ball was passed left. However, the Selby defence remained intact. There was no further addition to the scoring and the game finished with a Selby victory by 32 v 3. All four newcomers to the Heath club- - - Riz MOGHUL, James LORD, number 8 Ryan BROOK and right winger, Toby HINCHCLIFFE- - - performed creditably. The relatively inexperienced, young Heath side stuck to their task but were up against a fairly strong Selby side that always held the upper-hand. Man of the Match awards go to wing forward, James LORD, who tackled well throughout and made some good runs with the ball in hand. He is a very enthusiastic lad who is vocal on the pitch encouraging his teammates. The backs award goes to left winger, Riz MOGHUL, who performed well defensively and also put in a couple of good runs on limited ball. Albeit short in stature, he is a strong, quick lad who, I am sure, can make a good impression at the club this season.



The Clubhouse
North Dean
Stainland Rd

An RFU Accredited Club The Sign of a Great Pint England Rugby Stainland Lions Running Club Heath Old Boys RFU Northern Division Competitions Committee
Copyright © 2024 Heath RUFC, Halifax. All rights reserved.
Last Updated: 22 April 2024
Website by Sleepy Frog Designs