Match Report
Keighley RUFC (10) vs Heath RUFC (21)
Saturday 14 March 2009
HOME > 1st XV > Match Report
Drop Goals
Penalty Tries
Penalty Goals

New lads step in and play well for a win.

Reporter: Tom Stanley Walton.
Dated: 30 November -0001
Heath made the short journey to Keighley, looking to make amends for some recent poor performances, and with Coach Kevin Plant apparently having selection headaches through unavailability of a good number of senior players. From these changes, Colt hooker Dave Montgomery made his first league start with another colt Charlie Lomas featured on the bench. Former Colt Ollie Cook and Chris Haigh being the other “benchers”. Heath kicked off, playing up the slight slope and into the sun and strong wind – the latter having the potential to markedly affect the contest. Despite fielding what some may have thought was a weaker team than optimum, Heath took play straight into the Keighley 22 and played a hefty portion of the first quarter pressuring the hosts. The scrum being solid and with Shipman and Ambler winning good ball off Montgomery’s accurate throwing. Keighley started to rack up quite a penalty count and as a result Hetherington was putting in some fine kicks to touch. From yet another penalty, Heath drove to Keighley’s line, with Turton and Downsborough surging forward, but no points came the visitor’s way. Next, a great run from fullback Luke Clogher was only halted by some strong defence, but with position and control they gave away a silly penalty and the advantage was lost. On 27 minutes, a through kick from the home fullback Langstaff saw Keighley break out and only good work from Heath winger Si Brown prevented an opening score. However, from the resulting line, the elements took control, Keighley won the ball and the host’s secondrow Clarke burst through to score between the posts. Brown converted for Keighley to go 7 – 0 up, somewhat against the run of play. Heath didn’t let their heads go down and when Clogher picked up a through ball, he ran it back a good 30 metres before Downsborough, Ambler and Si Brown set up a score for Olly Cook – on to cover the front row birth whilst prop Jimmy Blackmore was temporarily off the field of play. After the conversion, Heath were back on terms following 35 minutes of play and with halftime looming. Rather than coasting to the break, Hetherington took the play back to Keighley’s half, with a deft kick through followed by a skilful pick up, whereupon he released centre Jarrod Morris who sprinted the remaining 30 metres to score a well taken try. Hallett converted for a half time score of 14 – 7 to Heath. Following this sound first half performance Coach Plant seemed happy with Heath’s play, but the second half got off to the worst possible start when the West Vale men quickly conceded a penalty, from which home standoff Brown took the points and Keighley were back in contention at 10 – 14. Heath were now using the conditions to their advantage, with long deep kicks taking the game into Keighley’s half, but it was the hosts who next looked to score, following a period of sustained pressure in Heath’s 22. However, the visitors defended well and the stalemate was broken when Downsborough picked up a ball from the scrum and kicked it nearly the length of the pitch. Keighley gave away a penalty in the ensuing defensive scramble, but Hetherington’s shot at goal was blown well wide of the intended target. Next, injuries forced changes on Heath, with Cook and Lomas entering the fray to cover for Blackmore and Hallett. Keighley looked for some disruption to the visitors’ continuity, but Heath weathered the storm and began to use their speedy backs as Keighley legs tired. A fine piece of play followed, where Downsborough came into the back line, drove on then passed to Morris with interpassing between the centre, Hetherington, Brown and White before Clogher was released to go over for an impressive and well taken score, ably converted by that rare breed of player – a goal kicking prop! Heath were now set at 21 – 10 with only 5 minutes of play remaining and they ran time down till the final whistle went and they finished the game as well deserved winners. This was a fine all-round performance from this young Heath team and bodes well for the future. Keighley, after 5 wins on the trot, never really came to terms with the conditions or the effort and skill of the North Dean men, giving away too many penalties which helped Heath gain a morale boosting victory, much to the delight of their travelling band of supporters.



The Clubhouse
North Dean
Stainland Rd

An RFU Accredited Club The Sign of a Great Pint England Rugby Stainland Lions Running Club Heath Old Boys RFU Northern Division Competitions Committee
Copyright © 2024 Heath RUFC, Halifax. All rights reserved.
Last Updated: 19 April 2024
Website by Sleepy Frog Designs