Match Report
Selby RUFC (32) vs Heath RUFC (14)
Saturday 14 February 2009
HOME > 1st XV > Match Report
Drop Goals
Penalty Tries
Penalty Goals

Selby Forwards dominate.

Reporter: Spud Taylor.
Dated: 30 November -0001
Heath 2nd xv travelled to Selby to take on their counterparts in a league game. Unfortunately, full back, Jon KERSHAW, had to withdraw during the warming up with a leg injury and replacement back, Giles HETHERINGTON, stepped in at centre with Andy WHITE moving to full back. Outside half, Tom COLLINGE, got the game underway on a fine afternoon on a soft surface and it was Heath who opened the scoring after 4 minutes from their first real foray into the Selby ‘22’. Craig AMBLER won good lineout ball that was taken on by number 8, James WHEELWRIGHT. It was quickly recycled and a basic passing movement along the back line resulted in left winger, Dave PIGEON, scoring an unconverted try in the corner. 5-0. The lead was short-lived, however. Selby had an attacking lineout in the Heath ‘22’ but knocked on. From the resulting scrum, Selby pushed the Heath pack off the ball allowing the back row to pick up and score an unconverted try. 5 - 5 after 8 minutes. The Heath pack was finding itself under considerable pressure in the scrums and this was allowing the home side to dictate possession. However, Heath rode the storm and gained a foothold in the home half when they were awarded a penalty after 17 minutes just outside the ‘22’. Oliver COOK made no mistake. 8-5. The pack continued to be under pressure in the tight and, after 27 minutes, Heath were awarded a scrum on their own line. Number 8, James WHEELWRIGHT, did well to pick up the ball at the back of the fast-retreating scrum and make initial ground. Unfortunately, it was turned over allowing the scrum half to scramble in at the corner for a further unconverted try. 8-10. After 36 minutes, Heath took the lead in the topsy-turvy encounter. They were awarded a penalty just outside the ‘22’ and, once again, Oliver COOK made no mistake. 11-10. Deep into injury time, Heath were awarded a further penalty in the home ‘22’ and Oliver COOK converted for a half time lead of 14-10. This was a good half by the Heath boys but they needed to avoid a forward-orientated game which was the home side’s strength and required quick possession to allow the backs to run at their opposite numbers, a department in which Heath appeared to hold the upper hand. Selby started strongly in the second half but Heath withstood the initial pressure and forced their way back upfield. The ball was taken up well by the forwards and although it was slow to come out of the resulting rucks, when it was passed down the line, the ball reached centre, David CRAIGIE. He had flanker, Jon HAMPSHIRE and Dave PIGEON outside him on the overlap but his pass was at the feet of Jon HAMPSHIRE and the chance to extend the lead was gone. After 52 minutes, scrum half, Dave COTTON-BETTERIDGE had to leave the field feeling under the weather with a heavy cold. Ian CRAIGON went into the back row, Jon HAMPSHIRE went to centre, Giles HETHERINGTON went to outside half and Tom COLLINGE to scrum half. Most of the play in the second half had been in the home half up to the 60 minutes mark and Heath were looking reasonably comfortable. However, after 63 minutes Selby regained the lead. Giles HETHERINGTON’s grubber clearance from his own ‘22’ hit skipper, Karl RABY, and the referee played advantage for offside. Selby attempted to spin the ball wide but, from one such pass, Andy WHITE was correctly adjudged to have deliberately knocked on and the referee had no hesitation in awarding a penalty try under the posts with Selby having a large overlap and only 2 defenders against them. The conversion was successful. 14-17. Giles HETHERINGTON had to leave the field with a leg injury shortly afterwards and Heath had to play the remainder of the game with 14 men. After 73 minutes, Selby increased their lead with an unconverted try in the corner from the number 8. 14-22. Selby were now well and truly in control of the game and increased their lead after 79 minutes with a further unconverted try after James WHEELWRIGHT had held an attacker up over the line, the try coming from the resulting play. 14-27. A further unconverted try deep into injury time brought the final score to 14-32. This was a game which Heath had a definite chance of winning. However, the strength of the home pack eventually told and Selby deserved their win albeit the scoreline being slightly flattering. Man of the Match awards go to centre Dave CRAIGIE who made good ground when taking the ball forward and also put in a good tackling stint; and, Craig AMBLER who had some good runs and tackles throughout.



The Clubhouse
North Dean
Stainland Rd

An RFU Accredited Club The Sign of a Great Pint England Rugby Stainland Lions Running Club Heath Old Boys RFU Northern Division Competitions Committee
Copyright © 2024 Heath RUFC, Halifax. All rights reserved.
Last Updated: 22 April 2024
Website by Sleepy Frog Designs