Match Report
Huddersfield Laund Hill (20) vs Heath RUFC (3)
Saturday 13 December 2008
HOME > 1st XV > Match Report
Drop Goals
Penalty Tries
Penalty Goals

Heath fail to play to the conditions.

Reporter: Spud Taylor.
Dated: 30 November -0001
Heath 2nd xv made the short journey up the hill to play Huddersfield YMCA on a dull, wet afternoon on the YMCA second pitch which proved to be extremely heavy as a result of the previous 24 hours rain. YMCA got the game underway and Heath seemed to settle fairly quickly. However, after 4 minutes, Heath were penalised some 40 metres out and this was forwarded another 10 metres when one of the Heath boys informed the referee that he disagreed with his decision. This allowed the home side to have a shot at goal that was successful. 0-3. Heath were having their fair share of possession but, in the horrible conditions, they were attempting to run the ball most of the time when a kick downfield for position would have been the more sensible option. After 16 minutes, YMCA increased their lead with a well-taken try. From a line out on halfway, the ball was moved quickly along the backline where the full back entered the line creating an overlap and the try was scored in the corner. An excellent conversion made the score 0-10. YMCA were beginning to take a number of strikes against the head thus starving Heath of possession but they stuck to the task putting in an excellent defensive stint typified by one superb try-saving tackle from full back, Jon KERSHAW. Heath had a period of play in the YMCA half when they were awarded a couple of penalties 30 metres out. From the first penalty, the ball was kicked into touch and from the ensuing line out the ball was spilled but YMCA transgressed once more and Heath tried again. However, the line out was crooked and YMCA cleared their lines with a very good relieving kick to the halfway line. YMCA remained in the Heath half and through their driving forwards gained a good position within 10 metres of the Heath line. However, all of the toils of the forwards were wasted when a YMCA player decided to attempt a drop goal- - - - - and missed. For the last few minutes of the half, Heath took a foothold in the YMCA half and kept possession of the ball putting together some good phases. They showed what they could do when playing tight, controlled rugby. The half time whistle then blew. At half time, wholesale changes were made to give everyone a run out; John LYONS and Stuart NELSON replaced Ian CRAIGON and Martyn BARNES on the wings; Barry SYKES replaced Peter CRAIGIE in the second row and Martin SHAW replaced outside half, Ryan HUNTER with Martin WHITE moving to outside half to allow ‘Bash’ to play in his accustomed role. Heath started the second half well and took the game to YMCA. They were retaining possession and playing the conditions well assisted by a number of strikes against the head by debutant hooker, Dave MONTGOMERY. They were rewarded after 49 minutes when they were awarded a penalty some 20 metres out straight in front of the posts. Oliver COOK made no mistake with the kick. 3-10. YMCA kicked off and Heath then found it difficult to get out of their own half and it was YMCA who increased their lead after 54 minutes after being awarded a penalty some 20 metres out. 3-13. Heath were unable to get themselves back into the game, with the match becoming somewhat of a stalemate, despite some good, strong runs from Dave CRAIGIE and Jon KERSHAW. After 70 minutes, Martin SHAW left the field with a knee injury and Ryan HUNTER re-entered the fray. A couple of minutes later, YMCA put in a kick into the Heath ‘22’ which was not dealt with and YMCA regained possession and, after a few drives, a forward was able score a try near the flag. A good conversion made the score 3-20. After 76 minutes, scrum half, Gareth OWEN, left the field and Martyn BARNES took his place. There was no further score when referee, Glen COCKROFT, blew the whistle for ‘no side’ in dark, miserable conditions. Final score 3-20. This was a game that Heath could have won. However, they were made to pay for the taking of wrong options in the first half when a tighter, less expansive game could well have laid the foundations for a successful second period. That said, credit must be given to all 19 lads who turned out today in awful conditions. They gave 100% commitment and effort to a man. In a game dictated by forwards play, man of the match awards go to second row and skipper for the day, Craig AMBLER, who led by example throughout with some excellent tackling and numerous drives and also, young hooker, Dave MONTGOMERY, who had a very good game in the loose and also showed his potential in the tight at both scrum and lineouts.



The Clubhouse
North Dean
Stainland Rd

An RFU Accredited Club The Sign of a Great Pint England Rugby Stainland Lions Running Club Heath Old Boys RFU Northern Division Competitions Committee
Copyright © 2024 Heath RUFC, Halifax. All rights reserved.
Last Updated: 19 April 2024
Website by Sleepy Frog Designs