Match Report
Heath RUFC (3) vs Sheffield RUFC (55)
Saturday 11 October 2008
HOME > 1st XV > Match Report
Drop Goals
Penalty Tries
Penalty Goals

We need to train together, to play together!

Reporter: Spud Taylor.
Dated: 30 November -0001
Heath 2nd xv played hosts to Sheffield 2nd xv on a lovely, sunny afternoon on a good, firm, surface. Heath kicked off and seemed to settle quickly into the game. However, it was Sheffield who opened the scoring after 5 minutes when, after an attacking 5 metres scrum, the ball was passed down the line where the fullback entered at speed, a good angle and scored between the posts. The try was converted. 0-7. Sheffield had most of the play in the opening quarter and increased their lead after 17 minutes when the ball was, once again, passed down the line and there was a simple score between touch and the posts. The conversion was successful. 0-14. Heath were then awarded a penalty some 40 metres from the posts after an excellent tackle in midfield from centre, Dave CRAIGIE. Oliver COOK, made no mistake. 3-14 after 23 minutes. Sheffield continued to press and increased their lead after 32 minutes despite a crunching tackle on the opposition full back by debutant winger, Rob THACKRAY, from the Heath Colts team. The try was kicked. 3-21. Just before half time, second row, Barry SYKES, had to leave the field with an arm injury. This was a protracted injury and referee, Nigel DICKINSON, blew for half time. Tim COOK replaced Barry and then Captain Colin HEWISON left the field with a head injury, to be replaced by Mick GLEESON. (Nice to see you back, Mick) Sheffield continued where they had left off in the first half and scored another try after 43 minutes when the right winger was put through on the blind side to score an unconverted try. 3-26. After 49 minutes, Heath were reduced to 14 men when second row, Michael STEAD, who had been having a good game then let himself and his colleagues down when he was on the left wing and the Sheffield lad chipped over him but STEADY then took the lad both high and late. He was very fortunate that the referee was lenient as a straight red card could not have been argued against. After 53 minutes, the extra man told when the Sheffield forwards won lineout ball in the home ‘22’ and drove their way to the line for a further unconverted try. 3-31. After 57 minutes, Heath enjoyed two good phases. Firstly, a long kick downfield was chased by winger, Martyn BARNES, who tackled the Sheffield defender. The ball broke out and Mick GLEESON kicked on before picking up and passing to the supporting centre, Andy WHITE, who was held just short of the line. Sheffield were able to clear the lines but a good piece of defending by Oliver COOK, when he stripped the attacker of the ball, allowed Heath to put together a move down the line but, unfortunately, the ball was knocked on in midfield and from the resulting scrum, Sheffield were able to kick deep into the Heath ‘22’. Sheffield scored two quick tries after 62 and 65 minutes and Heath heads appeared to be going down. That said, they then had two good pieces of play. First, scrum half, Charlie LOMAS, broke blind in his own ‘22’ and passed to right winger, Martyn BARNES, who made ground before passing inside to Mick GLEESON. He, in turn, found flanker, Richard DANCE who found his wing forward colleague, Martin PARKER, and a good 40 metres was made upfield. Secondly, Andy WHITE took the ball forward from his own ‘22’ and made a good break before being ankle-tapped with the full back only between himself and a try-scoring opportunity. Sheffield then scored a further two tries before the referee blew for ‘no side’. The final score was 3-55. It is no fun whatsoever getting a good beating every week. However, the players have got to take a long, hard look at themselves and make an effort to attend training on a regular basis. This is the only way that cohesion in play and fitness can improve. If players are not willing to give such commitment to the club then, unfortunately, boys, this is going to be one hell of a long and unenjoyable season. So, for everybody’s sake, please make this effort----once a week is not hard to fit in—surely!!!!! Man of the match awards went to debutant winger, Rob THACKRAY, who did not have much chance to run with the ball but certainly left an impression on a number of opposition players with his aggressive, no nonsense tackling. Also, wing forward Martin PARKER kept going for the full 80 minutes giving his all throughout; again, making his presence felt by some excellent tackling.
John and Rik joining the fray.
Why's everybody surprised?



The Clubhouse
North Dean
Stainland Rd

An RFU Accredited Club The Sign of a Great Pint England Rugby Stainland Lions Running Club Heath Old Boys RFU Northern Division Competitions Committee
Copyright © 2024 Heath RUFC, Halifax. All rights reserved.
Last Updated: 22 April 2024
Website by Sleepy Frog Designs