Match Report
Old Brodleians RUFC (19) vs Heath RUFC (25)
Saturday 9 February 2008
HOME > 1st XV > Match Report
Drop Goals
Penalty Tries
Penalty Goals

Famous victory for the 2nds.

Reporter: Spud Taylor.
Dated: 30 November -0001
Heath 2nd xv made the short journey to Woodhead to take on Old Brodlieans 2nd xv in a Merit Table game. This was always going to prove to be a very difficult fixture as Brods had lost only one game all season, were unbeaten at home and had beaten Heath in the reverse fixture in October by 69-0. However, the Heath players approached the match game with a positive attitude with a team showing 8 changes from the corresponding fixture. Heath kicked off the first half with the slope in their favour on a lovely, sunny, wind-free afternoon. The kick off was 'knocked ľon' by Brods and Heath were immediately on the attack with a scrum. A couple of minutes later, Heath were awarded another scrum near halfway. The ball went straight through the tunnel but play was allowed to continue and the open side wing forward for Brods picked it up and transferred it down the back line at pace resulting in a try near the corner. This was converted and was exactly what the Heath boys did not want. 0-7 after 3 minutes. After 5 minutes, Heath had an opportunity to open their account when they were awarded a penalty for offside some 40 metres out. Unfortunately, Oliver COOK pulled the kick wide. However, they did not have to wait long before they got points on the board. From an attacking line out some 40 metres from the Brods line, the ball was cleanly taken and was transferred from outside half, Tom OWEN to debutant centre, Jarrod MORRIS, who showed both strength and pace to push off an attempted tackle by his opposite number and then round the fullback with ease to score a try under the posts. The successful conversion from Oliver COOK levelled the sore at 7-7. The vast majority of play was taking place in the Brods half but, that said, Heath were not really putting the home line under pressure in a game dictated by defences. Heath were being assisted in their cause by the awarding of a number of penalties by the referee against Brods. In the 19th minute, from one such penalty, Oliver COOK had the chance to put Heath in front but he missed the penalty attempt from 35 metres out. He soon had a chance to make up for the last failed attempt when Heath were awarded another penalty for a Brods indiscretion. On this occasion, Olly made no mistake. 10-7 after 21 minutes. Play continued to be played predominantly in the Brods half with penalties continuing to be given to Heath against an ill-disciplined Brods team, who were not endearing themselves to the referee. Shortly before half time, Heath did have a spell of pressure on the Brods line. They were held just short and the referee awarded a penalty against Brods for 'lying on'. The penalty was under the posts and a decision was made to go for the 7 points with a set move rather than the easy 3 points. Although wing forward, Alan SCHOLEFIELD went in under the posts, play was called back for a forward pass. Brods were unable to clear their lines and this led to another penalty some 15 metres in from touch and 22 metres out. The decision on this occasion was to go for goal but the penalty from Oliver COOK was pulled wide and the half time whistle was blown. 10-7. Heath knew that a Herculean effort was now required playing up the slope against a Brods side with expert knowledge of exactly how to play to the conditions. Their cause was not helped when, after 43 minutes, Brods ran the ball down their left through the very speedy winger. When he was caught, he passed the ball inside to a supporting player. Unfortunately, centre David CRAIGIE slipped and fell and the supporting player was able to score a try near the corner flag. The conversion was missed. 10-12. Shortly afterwards, wing forward Mark MATTOCK, who was having a very good game had to leave the field with a broken right hand. He was replaced by Richard DANCE. Heath then slowly but surely started to take a hold of the game through their big pack which began to boss the opposition. Alan SCHOLEFIELD was putting in some excellent tackles and stripping the opposition of the ball in contact. Also, skipper for the day, full back, Colin HEWISON, was leading by example putting in some excellent kicks to touch and also, on one occasion, even managing to rip the ball out of a maul and making good ground from his own '22' Brods were reduced to 14 men when one of the pack was despatched to the 'sin-bin' for 10 minutes for a late tackle on young Tom OWEN who had just cleared his lines from near to the Heath line making some 35 metres with an excellent relieving kick. Heath's efforts were rewarded after 58 minutes when Oliver COOK kicked a penalty to make the score 13-12. Heath continued to maintain the momentum and an excellent flowing movement in the backs took play up to the Brods '22'. Instrumental in this was Colin HEWISON who made good ground from his own '22' before passing to Tom OWEN. Further ground was made before offloading to Jarrod MORRIS and finally David CRAIGIE who was forced into touch. Heath continued to dictate play and increased their lead after 68 minutes when number 8, Dean COTTON got the ball some 35 metres out from the home line. There was only one thing on his mind as he put his head down and used his bulky frame to swat off opposition attempted tackles to score an excellent try some 20 metres in from the touchline. The successful conversion from Oliver COOK then made the score 20-12 and Heath had a bit of a cushion. In the 68th minute, Brods had a second player sent to the sin-bin when the prop was shown the yellow card for questioning the referees decision- - - -again!!!! Shortly afterwards, Neil SMURTHWAITE entered the fray in the front row replacing hooker, Ian CRAIGON. However, despite their numerical deficit, it was Brods who put the next points on the board. The ball was passed down the line to the elusive left winger who ran past Colin HEWISON and although he was collared by right wing, Andy WHITE, he managed to pass the ball inside for the supporting outside half to score a try near the corner flag. The try was excellently converted by the wing forward. 20-19 after 74 minutes. From the kick off, Heath took a foothold in the Brods half. The pack took a scrum against the head and Heath were awarded a penalty for offside. The ball was kicked to touch some 12 metres out for an attacking line out but this came to nought. With time rapidly running out, Brods were awarded a 5 metre scrum on their line. The backs were all lined-up for a last effort to run the ball the length of the field to win the game. However, the number 8 picked up at the back of the scrum, he was then stripped of the ball and Dean COTTON took advantage to score his second try of the game in the corner. The conversion was just short but the referee then blew his whistle for 'No side' and Heath had come away from the Brods with an excellent victory by 25-19. This was a very, very good and deserved victory for the Heath boys. Although they did not take advantage of the slope in the first half, they dug-in during the second period and played some excellent controlled rugby. All 17 players played their part in the match and they got their just rewards for the tremendous effort put in. Heath's efforts were assisted by an unusually ill-disciplined Brods side who certainly got on the wrong side of the referee. Brods are not used to being on the back foot and it would appear that they were unable to cope with the fact that they were certainly not having everything their own way!! Man of the Match awards were given to full back and captain, Colin HEWISON, who had an outstanding game in both attack and defence and led the team very well with his vociferous encouragement throughout and Dean COTTON who, as well as scoring two tries, took the ball forward very well indeed and as Colin did with the team, communicated very well with his pack colleagues. So, to summarise- - - -WHAT A GOOD DO!!!!!!



The Clubhouse
North Dean
Stainland Rd

An RFU Accredited Club The Sign of a Great Pint England Rugby Stainland Lions Running Club Heath Old Boys RFU Northern Division Competitions Committee
Copyright © 2024 Heath RUFC, Halifax. All rights reserved.
Last Updated: 19 April 2024
Website by Sleepy Frog Designs