Match Report
Heath RUFC (13) vs Dinnington (7)
Saturday 19 January 2008
HOME > 1st XV > Match Report
Drop Goals
Penalty Tries
Penalty Goals

Good away win in a 'game of two halves'

Reporter: Spud Taylor.
Dated: 30 November -0001
The Seconds. Heath 2nd xv travelled to Dinnington to play a 'friendly' fixture hoping to bounce back from the previous weeks' heavy defeat at Wharfedale. The game was played on a sloping, undulating pitch, which was reasonably firm considering all the rain we have had in recent days. Fortunately, it was played in fine conditions in front of a decent-sized crowd. Heath kicked off with the slope in their favour. After taking a scrum against the head, a resulting penalty was kicked to touch in the home '22' but the attack came to nothing. The game was being played in the Dinnington half. From another strike against the head, the ball was moved blind to left winger, Rob OWEN, who made ground before his pass back inside was unable to find supporting centre, Alan SCHOLEFIELD. After 9 minutes, the referee awarded Heath a penalty some 27 metres out just to the side of the posts and Oliver COOK made no mistake. 3-0. Dinnington immediately came back at Heath, passing the ball down the line to the left-winger who beat Martin BARNES on the outside. He was left with full back, Colin HEWISON, only between himself and the try line but Colin pulled off a superb try-saving tackle, which actually forced the winger backwards on contact. He tried to offload under severe pressure and the ball was spilled. Heath then cleared their lines from the resulting scrum. Dinnington then missed a relatively easy penalty attempt at goal after 13 minutes but they took the lead some 7 minutes later. From a Heath scrum between the Heath 10m line and the '22', number 8, James WHEELWIGHT made some 15 metres before offloading to the supporting Mark MATTOCK who in turn passed to the supporting Dean COTTON. However, the ball then went astray and was intercepted by a Dinnington player. The ball was moved quickly down to the right side and when stopped, the ball was recycled and passed swiftly down the line for a try scored just to the side of the posts. The successful conversion gave Dinnington the lead, 3-7. Supporters then hoped that this would wake up Heath from their slumber in what can only be described as a lack-lustre first 20 minutes. After 22 minutes, they were awarded a penalty some 30 metres out and Oliver COOK made no mistake. 6 - 7. But this was the only bright part in the second 20-minute period as Heath continued to show no fluency, making regular tactical and handling errors. Half time 6 - 7. During the interval, Daniel RAMSDEN replaced Richard DANCE at wing forward. Heath knew that they had to increase both effort and tactical nowise if they were to have any chance in achieving victory. Dinnington kicked off down the slope and the ball was immediately run back with purpose by Alan SCHOLEFIELD. Dinnington conceded a penalty, which was taken quickly. Further ground was made before Colin HEWISON put in a good kick which led to a forward pass by the home side and Heath had a scrum in the opposition half. A good start to the second half. Oliver COOK then left the field to be replaced by Michael STEAD in the second row. In the 46th minute, Heath were awarded a penalty some 30 metres out and 15m in from touch. Colin HEWISON decided to have a go at goal but his effort went well wide. Heath continued to dictate both possession and territory and there was a vast improvement in the teams' performance with both forwards and backs driving the ball in well. In the 57th minute, Heath were awarded another penalty some 22 metres out, midway between posts and touch line. Young outside half, Tom OWEN, had a shot at goal but the attempt was pulled wide of the left upright. Heaths' efforts were rewarded in the 60th minute when they were awarded a penalty some 22 metres out. They kicked for touch and won good ball from the resulting line out. The ball was run in strongly by Alan SCHOLEFIELD and quickly recycled, Dean COTTON then ran the ball in once more. After a further phase sucked in the opposition defence, the ball was passed out to Alan SCHOLEFIELD who scored a well-executed try some 5 metres to the side of the posts. Tom OWEN converted. 13-7 and Heath now in the driving seat. After 64 minutes, the referee gave Dinnington the opportunity to cut the deficit when he awarded a harsh penalty against scrum half, Mark KERSHAW, for playing the ball in the scrum albeit the ball had well and truly come out. However, justice was done when the resulting penalty was well wide of the mark. Heath still appeared well in control of the game at this stage with Dinnington not really posing any real attacking threat. After 70 minutes, Ian CRAIGON replaced Mark MATTOCK at wing forward However, the last 5 minutes was played almost totally in the Heath '22' with the referee awarding a number of penalties against them. However, the Heath defence stood firm and resolute against a considerable onslaught. The referee then blew his whistle with Dinnington camped on the Heath line. Final score 13-7. To use the old cliché, this was most certainly a game of 2 halves. In the first half, Heath were totally disjointed throughout the team. There was no fluency and they showed a total lack of ideas in attack with wrong options being taken on a regular basis. However, the second half was totally different. The tactics were ' spot-on'. The ball was run when required; kicked when required and the phases were much more controlled. The Heath defence throughout was good and full marks to the boys for a superb stint for a full 5 minutes at the end of the game. Man of the match awards went to prop Roger HAMMOND who put in his usual solid display in the set pieces and drove the ball in well in the loose and outside half, Tom OWEN. The 17 years old has now played 5 games for the 2nd xv and has settled quickly into his new surroundings. His kicking from hand was a feature of today’s game and his distribution is also good. He is not frightened of making a break and his confidence is visibly growing from week to week.



The Clubhouse
North Dean
Stainland Rd

An RFU Accredited Club The Sign of a Great Pint England Rugby Stainland Lions Running Club Heath Old Boys RFU Northern Division Competitions Committee
Copyright © 2024 Heath RUFC, Halifax. All rights reserved.
Last Updated: 22 April 2024
Website by Sleepy Frog Designs