Match Report
Selby RUFC (60) vs Heath RUFC (13)
Saturday 20 October 2007
HOME > 1st XV > Match Report
Drop Goals
Penalty Tries
Penalty Goals

Heath need to get back on track.

Reporter: Spud Taylor.
Dated: 30 November -0001
Heath 2nds. Heath travelled to Selby to resume their Merit Table fixtures with no less than 8 changes from the team who had been beaten by Moortown the previous Saturday. 3rd xv captain, Karl RABY, had been drafted into the side and he was made captain for the day. Heath kicked off on a large, flat pitch with a slight wind advantage behind them. The first few minutes were fairly even but Heath were having problems winning their own line out ball which was cause for concern. Selby opened the scoring in the 9th minute when the home number ‘8’ made some 40 metres from his own ‘22’ before being tackled. The ball was then carried on by the supporting forwards and although good defence from the Heath boys kept them out for several phases, the defensive line was eventually broken when the outside centre scored a try some 15 metres in from touch. The conversion was missed. 0-5. Heath were finding it difficult to retain possession of the ball and this was handing the initiative back to Selby on a regular basis .However, the boys were tackling well and keeping the opposition at bay. In the 23rd minute, Heath then opened their account. Centre Dave WILKINSON made an initial break and after being tackled, the ball was recycled quickly and the ball was taken on by the forwards. The ball was kicked through and retrieved by scrum half, Paul SHAW, who passed out to Dave WILKINSON who made a superb 30 metre run before timing his pass to the supporting second row and captain, Karl RABY, who sold an outrageous dummy to the outside before putting his head down and going for the line. Although tackled short, he was able to place the ball over the line for an excellent team try. The conversion was missed by Oliver COOK. 5-5 This visibly raised the Heath boys confidence and they were showing more determination and aggression as the half progressed. This was typified by Barry SYKES in the second row who was tidying up quite a bit of ball while Colin HEWISON playing in the unaccustomed position of outside half was now receiving decent ball of which to make use. After 28 minutes their efforts were further rewarded when wing forward, Mark MATTOCK, broke from a ruck and kicked through towards the home line for right wing, Steve CROMIE, to chase. Although the Selby left wing took possession of the ball, he ran behind his line and across towards his own posts. An excellent chase by Steve CROMIE resulted in the home winger being tackled just inside the field of play and as he placed the ball on the ground, wing forward Oliver COOK was there to pick up the ball and have the simple task of placing it over the line just to the side of the posts. However, the conversion was missed but a 10-5 was excellent reward for the lads’ efforts. Unfortunately after 33 minutes, captain Karl RABY was sent to the sin bin for 10 minutes for a ‘kicking out’ offence and shortly afterwards number ‘8’, Ian THOMAS, had to leave the field with a blood injury to be replaced by Ian CRAIGON. Down to 7 men and with two of their bigger lads off the field, Heath had to hold on desperately. However, after 36 minutes, the home side won a penalty some 35 metres out and after kicking for touch, the home pack then caught and drove the ball some 15 metres to score an unconverted try in the corner. 10-10. From the kick off, the home scrum half dropped the ball and Heath were awarded a penalty from the resulting play. Oliver COOK made no mistake and Heath were back in front at 13-10. Ian THOMAS re-entered play and Heath needed to hold onto their lead until half time. However this was not to be. From a Selby attacking line out on the Heath ‘22’ prop, Tom WARD, was harshly penalised for collapsing a non-existent maul. However, Selby kicked for the corner and another catch and drive led to a further unconverted try on the stroke of half time. 13-15. The Heath boys knew that the same effort and commitment was required for the next 40 minutes in an attempt to redress the situation. However, from the kick off, no Heath player took responsibility for claiming same and although Selby knocked on and Heath were awarded a scrum, the Heath ‘7’ were unable to contain the home pack who won the ball against the head. After a couple of further phases of play, the home side breached the line for a converted try to make the score 13-22 after 42 minutes. Karl RABY then returned to the field. After 47 minutes, and with the home side now attacking confidently through both forwards and backs, the lead was increased when the home number ‘8’ powered his way over the line for an unconverted try. 13-27. Heath now had to dig deep with a tide of green coming towards them relentlessly. The home team were using long kicks as a weapon to keep Heath on the back foot in their own ‘22’ and as a result, further tries were following as the home side were using their abundance of possession to increase their lead on a regular basis. Ian CRAIGON replaced prop, Rick CARTER and Dave WILKINSON had to leave the field with a dislocated finger after attempting to catch one of the afore-mentioned long kicks. He was replaced by utility player, Alf BAXTER for the last few minutes. The final score was a disappointing 13-60. However, it must be said that the boys who took to the field today gave 100% effort throughout and one has to accept that we were beaten, once again, by a better side. I must say a big ‘Thank you’ to all the lads who represented the second team today.A number of players who, at the start of the season,were looking forward to a season with the 3rd xv are having to play at a higher level, and due to the lack of players available for selection, this could be the scenario for the a good part of the season. I would strongly urge all the boys selected to show their mettle and stick together through thick and thin. When the team is successful, you will always play when carrying a niggling injury; when the team is losing, it is oh so easy to cry off with a similar injury. This is when you must show your determination and will to play for your rugby club. - - - -In the song title of a little Billy Ocean number, “When the going gets tough,the tough get going”!!! Man of the match awards today go to skipper for the day, Karl RABY, who, apart from his brief 10 minute enforced rest, led the team by example putting in big tackles, taking the ball on whenever possible and communicating well with the rest of the boys. The award for the backs goes to scrum half, Paul SHAW, who was still able to feed his outside half albeit he was under considerable pressure as the game progressed.



The Clubhouse
North Dean
Stainland Rd

An RFU Accredited Club The Sign of a Great Pint England Rugby Stainland Lions Running Club Heath Old Boys RFU Northern Division Competitions Committee
Copyright © 2024 Heath RUFC, Halifax. All rights reserved.
Last Updated: 19 April 2024
Website by Sleepy Frog Designs