Match Report
Heath RUFC (57) vs Paviors RUFC (7)
Saturday 10 September 2022
HOME > 1st XV > Match Report
Drop Goals
Penalty Tries
Penalty Goals


Reporter: Thomas Stanley Walton
Dated: 10 September 2022


 15 Matthew Hallett  14 Elliott Spiers  13 Joe Morrison  12 Sam Fletcher  11 Callum Harriott-Brown  10 Chris Johnson  9 Dom Walsh  1 Rondene Johnson  2 Jack  Pilcher  3 Chris Moore  4 Matt Beasty  5 Fergus Marsden  6 Alex McFadden  7 Harvey Keighley Payne  8 Ben Stringer  16 SI Brown  17 Olly Cook  18 Ollie Haigh



Heath welcomed Nottingham based Club, Paviors to North Dean for their first ever visit in the second game of the Region 1 North East league. Missing was Jason Merrie, who broke his hand in last week's game against Ilkley, so coach Harry shuffled his pack with Jack Pilcher making a start at hooker while Alex McFadden moved to blindside flanker. Centre Tom Owen was also side-lined, so Sam Fletcher had a starting berth at centre.

On the bench in came Ollie Haigh with the immortal Si Brown making a guest appearance alongside Olly Cook.

Following a minutes silence, to honour the Queen and Club stalwart Dave Wright, Heath kicked off playing towards the Stainland Road end and quickly put the visitors under pressure.  It came as no  surprise to see Chris Johnson convert a penalty for Heath to lead 3-0 with only four minutes played.

From the re-start Heath continued to pull the visitors defence apart with Johnson instrumental in every move and again it was no surprise to the large crowd to see him receive the ball and scythe his way through a rather static defence to score the converted opening try, 10-0 after nine minutes.

Much to Paviors' credit they managed to claw their way back into the game but Matthew Hallett was on hand to clear the ball as the visitors threatened. Next up a clever 50-22 kick saw them have a first lineout 5 metres from the Heath try-line but, from the resulting throw, Heath robbed the ball and Johnson belted it downfield. Paviors scurried back to defend but in doing so gave away a penalty. As they tried to get organised, a quick tap by Hallett saw him release Callum Harriett-Brown and the wingman scored in the corner, converted by Johnson, 17-0 with twenty-five minutes on the clock.

It was all Heath with Johnson splaying the ball around the field. They were looking the much fitter team and following breaks from Dom Walsh and Joe Morrison, Fergus Marsden came up with the ball to crash over the line for a try. Johnson once again added the extras, 24-0. Shortly afterwards,  an interception pass enabled Elliott Spiers to waltz over the line for a bonus point converted try and with thirty minutes played the score was 31-0.

Rondene Johnson and Jack Pilcher made way for Olly Cook and Ollie Haigh and both were quickly into the action and, with the Heath pack dominant and the backs far too quick, it was only a matter of time before the home side would add to their tally. Harriott-Brown collected a loose ball on the half-way line and set off on a jinking run before releasing the supporting Harvey Keighly Payne who blasted the opposition away, scoring under the posts for another converted try and a half time score of 38-0.

The first half had been an outstanding display of attacking rugby from Heath with the visitors looking shellshocked.

The second half began with yet another attacking  move from Heath and on forty three minutes, from a Heath lineout, Matt Beasty caught the ball and as the forwards drove for the line Alex McFadden was on hand to score a try, converted by Chris Johnson, 45-0.

Off came Chris Johnson for a well earned rest and the legendary Si Brown, who had been waiting on the bench like a coiled spring, finally had his opportunity to join the action. He was quickly into the action and was joined by Rondene Johnson and Jack Pilcher when Matt Beasty and Chris Moore were replaced as the coaching team had an eye on giving everyone game time. Much to Paviors' credit they kept battling away and when Pilcher was sinbinned, followed shortly after by Fergus Marsden, despite the heroic efforts of the thirteen, they could not prevent the visitors getting on the scoreboard with a converted try, 45-7, with fifty-eight minutes on the clock.

Pilcher returned to the action and following super jinking runs from Elliott Spiers and Dom Walsh this enabled Callum Harriott-Brown to scorch over the line for his second try, converted by Hallett, 50-7. Matt Beasty returned for Ollie Haigh who had a solid debut and with Marsden returning Heath were back to full strength.  Paviors continued to battle away but Heath were in no mood to concede. Ben Stringer and Pilcher were replaced by Moore and Haigh and with full time approaching a clearance from Hallett found touch. Heath won the ball and Harvey Keighley Payne received the pass to go for a final converted try, 57-7.

Paviors still found energy to go in search of a score and with Heath once again under pressure a brilliant run from Sam Fletcher saw him cover 50 metres and as the ball came loose Paviors had no option but to find touch and the final whistle sounded.

This was a superb all round performance from all the Heath players who completely dominated the game. Yes, Paviors never gave up the battle but Heath were just too good and attention now turns to the next game against Sandal which is to be played on a Friday evening. See you there! 



More photos can be found on Vic Heritage's Facebook site;   (cut n paste).

Harvey Keighley-Payne scores.
Alex McFadden try
Callum Harriott Brown scores
Scores again
Ben Stringer
Chris Moore
Dom Walsh
Elliott Spiers on way to score
Fergus Marsden about to score
Harvey - try
Joe Morrison
Chris Johnson
Chris scores
Matt Hallett
Ollie Hague
Sam Fletcher
Match Sponsors
Elliott scoring by Vic .....



The Clubhouse
North Dean
Stainland Rd

An RFU Accredited Club The Sign of a Great Pint England Rugby Stainland Lions Running Club Heath Old Boys RFU Northern Division Competitions Committee
Copyright © 2024 Heath RUFC, Halifax. All rights reserved.
Last Updated: 19 April 2024
Website by Sleepy Frog Designs