Match Report
Heath RUFC (58) vs Hullensians RUFC (8)
Saturday 26 October 2019
HOME > 1st XV > Match Report
Drop Goals
Penalty Tries
Penalty Goals


Reporter: Thomas Stanley Walton
Dated: 26 October 2019

15 Eddie Cartwright  14 Chris Robinson  13 Willie Tufui  12 Ezra Hinchliffe  11 Callum Harriett-Brown  10 Dan Cole  9 Dom Walsh  1 Olly Cook  2 Alex McFadden  3 Paul Turner  4 Matt Beasty  5 Alex Patrick  6 Dave Skinner  7 Jonny Cole  8 Richard Brown  16 Luke Saltonstall  17 Chris Moore  18 Saif Boussaada.

Heath entertained bottom club Hullensians in a game that looked in doubt due to heavy rain, but the efforts of our volunteers in clearing standing water from the pitch ensured it went ahead.

Heath welcomed La Toya Mason, the ex-England international and World Cup winner, who was now making her way up the refereeing ladder, as Ref for the day. 

Hullensians arrived with only one win to their name this season and had conceded over 300 points so it looked like they would suffer again when, after the opening period of play, they conceded a try. Dan Cole kicked for touch following a penalty and when Alex Patrick caught the ball the drive from the Heath forwards saw Olly Cook emerge with it to open Heaths account, 5-0 after 10 minutes.

However, Hullensians bounced straight back with a penalty, 5-3 and then pressed for another score as Heath struggled to contain the visitors. From a rare forage into the Hullensians 22  Dave Skinner drove over the line to increase the home side lead 10-3 with 25 minutes played. The game was being played at pedestrian pace but when Alex Patrick collected the ball he went over for a third unconverted try, 15-3 with 30 minutes played.

Saif Boussaada and Chris Moore were sent on, replacing Olly Cook and Matt Beasty, to try and inject some life into the game and when Callum Harriett-Brown made good yardage he was held short of the try-line before support came from Moore and Patrick which enabled Richard Brown to drive over for a bonus point try, again unconverted, and a lead of 20-3 as half time arrived.  

Heath needed to inject more urgency into their play and had a strong start with Chris Moore, Saif Boussaada and Alex McFadden heavily involved in making inroads into a tiring Hullensians defence and with Jonny Cole and Dave Skinner patrolling around the pitch making good yardage the game was turning into Heaths favour. Luke Saltonstall and Matt Beasty came on for Skinner and Harriett-Brown as coach Dave Harrison rotated his squad and when Alex Patrick went on a 50 metre run, smashing opponents in his path, the supporting Saltonstall appeared to be tripped as he went in but with Boussaada also in support his long pass out to Jonny Cole and in turn his slick pass sent Chris Robinson on a run. Hullensians were all over the place and it came as no surprise to see Chris Moore jog in for a fifth try to round off a fine flowing move. Ezra Hinchliffe converted and Heath were comfortable at 27-3 with 50 minutes played.

Paul Turner and Richard Brown were now replaced by Olly Cook and Dave Skinner as Heath went in search of further tries and both were involved in the next score. Superb handling from Dom Walsh, Ezra Hinchliffe and Eddie Cartwright enable Luke Saltonstall to go over the line, 34-3, and then shortly afterwards Alex Patrick scored another and Heath extended their lead to 39-3. Hullensians were desperate not to concede more but there was no stopping Heath and following a quick tap penalty from Dom Walsh he released Willie Tufui to drive in, before the ball came out to Alex Patrick, who went over for his third try of the game, Dan Cole  adding the extras, 46-3 with 10 minutes remaining.

Much to Hullensians credit they would not lie down and were rewarded with an unconverted try,46-8, but Heath were not finished. A  clever kick through by Dan Cole saw Luke Saltonstall swoop to score in the corner and then from the re-start Chris Moore collected the ball and went on a surging run before releasing the ball to the supporting Olly Cook and his 40 metre dash sent him into the corner to round off the match with a tenth try. Dan Cole added the extras and this was enough for the referee to blow full time and a score of 58-8 securing maximum points.

The win saw Heath move into top spot as the games involving Old Brodleians and Beverley were called off due to waterlogged pitches and as the squad have a week's break due to the first round of the Yorkshire Shield next week before returning to action when they travel to in-form West Leeds on November 9th



The Clubhouse
North Dean
Stainland Rd

An RFU Accredited Club The Sign of a Great Pint England Rugby Stainland Lions Running Club Heath Old Boys RFU Northern Division Competitions Committee
Copyright © 2024 Heath RUFC, Halifax. All rights reserved.
Last Updated: 22 April 2024
Website by Sleepy Frog Designs