Match Report
Guisborough (19) vs Heath RUFC (31)
Saturday 3 November 2018
HOME > 1st XV > Match Report
Drop Goals
Penalty Tries
Penalty Goals


Reporter: Thomas Stanley Walton
Dated: 3 November 2018

Heath travelled up to Guisborough for this vital game as they went looking to keep momentum going in their quest to move up the table with another maximum point win. The home side have yet to win so Heath were hopeful of securing the points but they were made to work hard all game as the hosts kept up the battle to keep in the game. Heath made a few changes bringing in Jack Crabtree at full back and Michael Reynolds at scrum half for the injured Jordan Moana and Peter Birkett whilst on the bench was Matt Beasty, Richard Brown and Si Brown.

In blustery conditions Heath began the game brightly giving little opportunity for the hosts to get possession of the ball and after several near misses, following probing runs from Olly Cook and Chris Moore, it was left to the backs for quick ball leaving Eddie Cartwright to smash over the line for an opening try on 6 minutes, converted by Ezra Hinchliffe, and the visitors led 7-0. Heath continued to probe the home sides defence and Callum Harriett-Brown had a couple of scything runs and Guisborough were clinging on to prevent further scores. However, to their credit they prevented any further score and when Fergus Marsden was sin-binned for a high tackle they were rewarded with a converted try on 25 minutes to level the scores. From the re-start Heath kicked deep and Guisborough dropped the ball. Dan Cole found touch in the corner and from the line-out Heath were in control driving forwards and Cole popped up for a second try, converted again by Hinchliffe, and Heath led 14-7 with 28 minutes played. Richard Brown replaced Jason Merrie who had a shoulder injury but he could not prevent Guisborough going forwards yet again and Heath were under pressure again. With a couple of minutes remaining Guisborough were rewarded again with a converted try and with the scores level 14-14 the referee blew for half time.

Matt Beasty and Si Brown replaced Jacob Storey and Seife Boussaada as Heath started the game looking to up their game. A penalty from Ezra Hinchliffe on 47 minutes saw a score of 17-14 and constant pressure saw Heath begin to wear down their opponents. With the wind increasing Heaths scrum began to control the game over the next 15 minutes and it came as no surprise to the travelling supporters to see Alex McFadden score a try, again converted by Hinchliffe, and Heath were moving clear, 24-14, with a quarter of the game to play. With Richard Brown in control at the scrums this enabled Michael Reynolds, Dan Cole and Ezra Hinchliffe to constantly probe the home sides defence and after several near misses from Jack Crabtree and Callum Harriett-Brown it came as no surprise to see Eddie Cartwright scoot over for a bonus point try, converted by Hinchliffe, and the game seemed secure at 31-14 with 10 minutes left to play. However, Guisborough would not lie down and scored a try on 75 minutes but Heath were not to be beaten and they wound the clock down in fine style to secure yet another vital win.

With all points gained Heath have now moved up one place in the league as they chase down leaders Old Crossleyans who are four points clear. Heaths attentions now turn to the Yorkshire Shield quarter final and travel to Keighley next Thursday for the game under lights with an 8pm kick off.



The Clubhouse
North Dean
Stainland Rd

An RFU Accredited Club The Sign of a Great Pint England Rugby Stainland Lions Running Club Heath Old Boys RFU Northern Division Competitions Committee
Copyright © 2024 Heath RUFC, Halifax. All rights reserved.
Last Updated: 19 April 2024
Website by Sleepy Frog Designs