Match Report: Saturday 14 March 2015

Reported by Spud
FINAL SCORE: Heath RUFC 52 vs Wharfedale RUFC 21


Heath 2nd XV played hosts to Wharfedale 4th XV at West Vale on a cold, dull but dry afternoon in a league fixture. Wharfedale had 13 players and Reece JENNISON and Fred FOX played for the opposition.

Heath started like a house on fire. After 3 minutes, the home side opened the scoring. Centre Gareth WEBB received the ball some 35 metres out and he fended off a number of attempted tackles before placing the ball over the line for a try which Eddie CARTWRIGHT failed to convert. 5 – 0
Straight from the kick off, flanker Jordan MOANA got the ball and ran 45 metres before passing to the supporting full back, Craig HEPPENSTALL, who sprinted to the line for a try converted by Eddie CARTWRIGHT. 12 – 0 after 4 minutes.

After 9 minutes, Heath extended their lead with a further unconverted try. From a lineout inside the Wharfedale half, the ball was passed from Eddie CARTWRIGHT to inside centre, Marty MOANA. He went through a gap and found Craig HEPPENSTALL in support and he scored some 10 metres to the side of the posts. 17 – 0.

After 15 minutes, Jordan MOANA had to leave the field with a hamstring injury. He was duly replaced by Matt DAY.

Heath continued to dominate and it came as no surprise when they scored another converted try after 20 minutes. Left winger, Kyle ADAMSON, took a high clearance kick in the Wharfedale half. He found Craig HEPPENSTALL in support. He passed it on to Eddie CARTWRIGHT and continued his run on Eddies’ outside. Eddie passed the ball back to Craig who scored under the posts. Eddie CARTWRIGHT converted. 24 – 0
After 24 minutes, flanker, Martyn BARNES, was sent to the sin bin by referee Mike DICKINSON for a petulant piece of play. From the resulting play, the Wharfedale pack kept the ball well and scored a try well converted from the touchline. 24 – 7.

Shortly afterwards, Wharfedale lost a centre to injury and Gareth OWEN then entered the field to play at centre for Wharfedale.

After 29 minutes, Wharfedale narrowed the gap with another converted try. The ball was passed down the line and came to Reece JENNISON on the left wing. He stayed on the touchline and made good ground. Craig HEPPENSTALL came over as cover but failed to stop Reece who continued on his run and he scored near the corner flag. This was well-converted again. 24 – 14.

Heath came straight back and put pressure on the Wharfedale defence. After 32 minutes, Marty MOANA made a break and found right winger, Matt COOK outside. He ran with intent and then found Eddie CARTWRIGHT with a good inside pass. Eddie went under the posts for a try converted by himself. 31 – 14.

Half time: Heath 31 v 14 Wharfedale

The second half was only 2 minutes old when the second Wharfedale centre had to leave the field with a back injury. Unfortunately, we had run out of players and they had to continue with 14 players for the remainder of the game.

After 50 minutes, Eddie CARTWRIGHT made a good break. He ran 50 metres and had debutant prop, Richard TURNER, in support on his shoulder. However, he threw a long pass out to Kyle ADAMSON who then cut back inside to score a try converted by Eddie. 38 – 14.

After 54 minutes, Eddie CARTWRIGHT made a break and kicked deep. Kyle ADAMSON was in acres of space and had plenty of time to pick up the ball and cross the line for a try converted by Eddie CARTWRIGHT. 45 – 14.
After 59 minutes, Wharfedale came back at Heath with a well-taken try. The outside half made a good break in midfield. He was stopped just short of the try line. The ball was recycled and a try was scored near the posts converted by the outside half. 45 – 21.

After 65 minutes, Heath scored the best try of the game after an excellent flowing move. From their own ‘22’, Heath passed the ball down the line to Marty MOANA. He dummied and came back inside before finding Martyn BARNES in support. He carried the ball some 20 metres before being tackled. He was able to pass the ball to scrum half, Tom COLLINGE who found right winger Matthew COOK to his right. COOKIE then ran along the touchline before cutting inside to score between the posts. The try was converted by Eddie CARTWRIGHT and the referee then brought the game to an end.

Final score: Heath 52 v 21 Wharfedale.

Overall, this was a very impressive performance by the Heath lads who dictated play throughout particularly in the backs.

A big thank you goes out to Reece, Fred and Gareth who played for Wharfedale and Reece scored his first try - - - - unfortunately, for the opposition!!!!!!

Man of the match awards go to flanker, Martyn BARNES who had a good game but his second half performance was outstanding putting in some excellent tackles and working hard at the breakdown; and, in the backs, Craig HEPPENSTALL who scored a hat trick of tries.

Tries 8 Drop Goals 0
Penalty Tries 0 Penalty Goals 0
Conversions 6 Attendance
Click any image to enlarge