Match Report: Saturday 25 October 2014

Reported by Spud
FINAL SCORE: Halifax RUFC 5 vs Heath RUFC 34

A hat trick debut for Harriott-Brown!

A hat trick debut for Harriott-Brown!
Heath 2nd xv made the short journey to take on their Halifax counterparts at Ovenden Park on a bright, fine afternoon.

Halifax started the game strongly and put the Heath defence under pressure immediately. However, the Heath defence was good and their line was unbroken. Heath could not get into the game and they relied upon defence to keep out the Halifax side who were piling on the pressure.

However, after 26 minutes, Heath eventually managed to get into the Halifax half with good movement from Marty MOANA at 10, and Jordan MOANA at inside centre but the final pass to right winger Michael DODD went to ground.

Although Halifax continued to dictate play, they never really threatened the Heath line and it was Heath who actually opened the scoring on the stroke of half time. Debutant 17 years old centre, Callum HARRIOTT-BROWN got the ball in midfield and made ground before offloading to support. The ball was then passed right to Jordan MOANA who used his strength to plough through a couple of defenders before scoring in the corner. DODDY just missed the conversion. 5 0

Half time: Halifax 0 5 Heath

As Halifax had started the first half strongly then Heath opened the second half in the same vein. They camped in the home 22 and from a defending line out, second row, Nick SZADBY, caught the ball cleanly and forced his way over from 6 metres. DOODY converted with aplomb. 12 - 0 after 43 minutes.

After 53 minutes, Halifax lost the ball inside the Heath half and Callum HARRIOTT-BROWN picked it up and sprinted 60 metres to the line to score his first senior rugby try under the posts. DODDY converted. 19 0.

Within 2 minutes, Heath had increased their lead with a further, unconverted try. Flanker Jack BLACKHALL showed strength and speed to make 30 metres before he was able to offload to the supporting prop, Gareth OWEN. He timed his pass to Marty MOANA well and he then found young Callum in support. He then sprinted to the line to score his second try. 24 0

After 62 minutes, Halifax found themselves on the Heath 10 metres line; the outside half put in a good kick behind left winger, Richard ARMSTRONG. Just as he was about to pick up the ball just short of the line, he lost his footing and went to ground. By this time, there were 3 Halifax attackers in close contact. Richard had to let go of the ball and, with no support in defence, one of the Halifax lads, Nick HOYLE, picked up the ball and placed it over the line. The conversion was unsuccessful. 24 5

Heath were penalised continuously for various offences putting themselves under pressure. However, their defence was solid and no breach of their line was made.

After 76 minutes, Halifax lost the ball on their 10 m line, Callum picked up the loose ball and sprinted to the line for his hat trick try. DODDY failed to convert. 29 5

After 79 minutes, the backs combined to score another excellent try. From a Heath scrum on halfway, the ball was passed right to Jordan MOANA. He switched play to his dad on the left who, after making ground, passed to supporting full back, Josh LISTER who jinked 40 metres before passing the ball back inside. Although the ball hit the ground, it was picked up by Marty MOANA who swatted off a couple of defenders before placing the ball over the line. DODDY missed the conversion. 34 5.

The referee, Sid MATTHEWS, told the players that the next breakdown would bring the game to an end. From the kick off, Heath kept the ball live and made their way back into the Halifax 22 before Halifax cleared their lines and the game was over.

Final score: Halifax 5 v 34 Heath

Heath just did not get going in the first half at all but still managed to reach the break with a 5 0 lead. However, in the second half, they completely dominated play both in the forwards and backs and fully deserved their win. A mention for prop Lee McNAMEE who in only his second game at prop performed well in the tight. Also, Andy BUTTERWORTH came to play and was utilised at second row where, once again, he performed well and ran strongly with ball in hand

Man of the Match awards go to centre debutant, Callum HARRIOTT-BROWN who, as well as his hat trick of tries, put in some good tackles and linked well with his fellow backs throughout; and, in the forwards, hooker Paul SHAW performed well in both tight and loose with exemplary throwing in at the line out and good play in the loose.

Tries 3 Drop Goals 0
Penalty Tries 0 Penalty Goals 0
Conversions 2 Attendance 40