Match Report: Sunday 10 March 2013

Reported by Hobby
FINAL SCORE: Scunthorpe 10 vs Heath RUFC 29

Relaxed game but a good win.

Sunday 10th March. Final game of the Yorkshire senior colts premier division.

Not untypically Heath’s team of fourteen arrived at Scunthorpe RUFC at 12 o’clock for a twelve o’clock Kick off. With little preparation Heath took to the field with a jovial but relaxed attitude.

Heath were quickly awakened, firstly facing a strong Icy wind and then spending twenty minutes defending their own line. Peter Birkett showed the way with tackle after tackle which prompted Stephan Hare and Lewis Foxton to lead the rest of the team to defend very well with Max Sheldrake also prominent. The strong wind eliminated kicking as a means of escape from the Heath line so running was the only option and with the pack dominant and plenty of ball available the running option became the order of the day.

A home put-in at a five metre scrum on the Scunthorpe line, the ball whipped back to the standoff who was behind his own line and ready to take advantage of the wind at his back for the clearance, but with Jack Sheldrake at open side wing forward he needed to be quick ! Not quick enough, as Shellers broke swiftly, charged down and scored the try. Sam Pollard converted. 7- 0.

Heath were now running everything but, unfortunately, Jack Ledgard who had been prominent in the initial 20 minutes defence left the field with a worrying knee injury. Heath were now down to thirteen men as they halted for half time but clearly feeling confident with the prospect of a slight slope and massive wind advantage to come, the half time team talk took on a convivial, light hearted tone.

Back to business and on five minutes Lewis McKenzie, who had been making good ground whenever he had the ball, cut back inside from 20 metres out, went over the try line and lost the ball backwards in contact, Ezra Hinchliffe was on hand to touch down, the conversion was narrowly missed. 12. 0.

Jordan Moana was next to prove he is a powerhouse with ball in hand as he ran over several unfortunates who were unlucky to be between him and glory on his way to Heath’s third try. 17 - 0. But, Heath were not having all their own way and Scunthorpe were not for giving up as they scored in the corner after several phases of play. 17- 5.

The best try of the day was from inside the Heath 22 which started with Benjamin Crabtree having a forceful burst up the middle then inter passing through most of the team and ending with James Wilkinson going over to the left of the posts. Adam Parkin adding the conversion to much applauds from his team mates. 24 - 5.

Heath’s final try was scored by Kofi Brobbey - after a brake by Ezra Hinchliffe. The 2 extras went begging as the ball bounced of the right hand post. 29 - 5.

Scunthorpe had the final say on the score board as the fullback collected a sloppy clearance kick and impressively scored out wide. Final score 29 - 10.

Heath’s forwards, despite being a man down the whole game, provided plenty of good ball and the whole tam’s desire to run and pass was the basis of the win and although the team clearly had a great deal of fun, next week’s National Plate game needs to be more seriously considered.

Tries 5 Drop Goals 0
Penalty Tries 0 Penalty Goals 0
Conversions 2 Attendance 65