Match Report: Sunday 21 November 2010

Reported by Giles Hetherington
FINAL SCORE: Morley RUFC 29 vs Heath RUFC 35

Second game, first win. U13s on track.

The newly formed West Vale U13 side travelled to Morley, with high hopes after an honourable defeat to an experienced Barnsley team a week previously. Although pre-match preparations were good, it was the home side that started stronger. A sniping run from their scrum half, that would become typical of his performance, put the hosts 5-0 up after only a matter of minutes. It was again Morley that scored next, their talented and speedy stand-off racing around the disorganised Heath defence, eventually converting his own try under the posts.
Undeterred, Heath marched back up the other end and produced some magnificent scores of their own, firstly a fine individual break from talented centre and captain Beswick, soon followed by power-house prop Czerpaniak, bursting several tackles to crash over and just before the half time whistle, some fine back-line passing allowed winger Stacey-Galley to slide in at the corner. All 3 tries confidently converted by fly-half Storey, who was himself having a superb game, orchestrating play.
However, Morley were to have the last say in the half, a disorganised quick penalty ended up being intercepted by the home number 10, who then showed a clean pair of heels, racing 80 metres and then coolly slotting the extras.
Heath remained confident and continued to dominate the ruck area for long periods, whilst excellent defensive displays from Storey and Beswick had the opposition limited with their attacking options. Beswick’s influence was just as cutting in offence and he added his second score of the game, Storey kicking another conversion. Heath bundled over quickly afterwards to put them two scores clear and surely enough to earn a first victory at only the second time of asking, Storey rounding off a perfect goal-kicking display and deserving his man of the match accolade.
Wilkinson and Parker made some excellent drives up front, in an attempt to close out the game, but credit to the Leeds side, as they were to round off the game with the final score to bring things to a close 29-35.
This was a terrific performance and whilst the Heath boys still have plenty of work to do on the training field, they thoroughly deserved their win and were jubilant in their celebrations after the final whistle.

Giles Hetherington - Coach

Tries 5 Drop Goals 0
Penalty Tries 0 Penalty Goals 0
Conversions 5 Attendance 75