Match Report: Saturday 6 March 2010

Reported by Dan Ingham.
FINAL SCORE: Heath RUFC 48 vs West Leeds R U F C 5

What a win.

Ingham won the toss and elected to receive. From the kick off a bad handling error passed position to West Leeds who attacked the heath line for the next 5 mins, but great defence from Sadler, Blackmore, Ingham and Kerr kept Leeds at bay. Heath’s first real attack saw Ingham slip an inside ball to Bash who broke through the defence, drew the full back and passed to the supporting Carl Galvin for him to touch down wide out. Ingham hit the post with the conversion attempt.

West kicked off but great running from Lawlor, James and Moore took Heath back to their 22. Only good defence from the visitors kept Heath at bay. On 21 mins, good catching and driving from the line out saw Garry Moore power over the line to score midway in. Ingham added the extras 12 nil to heath. The next 10 mins or so seemed to be a test of kickers with Ingham and Bash competing against the number 10 and 15 from Leeds to try and gain valuable territory. On 35 mins a good scrum and quick hands from Ingham and Galvin saw Bash break down the right and feed the supporting Greenwood to score wide out. Ingham missed 17 nil to heath. On 39 mins bad discipline from the saw West register their first points, with number 10 kicking a penalty under the posts. Half time 17 to 3.

Heath made 2 changes at half time and one of them, Colin Hewison, had the first chance of the second half. A great run down the left and a delicate kick over the top looked like he would race clear and score. But the bounce of the ball took it into touch some 5 yrds out. On 45 mins Lyons was controlling his pack and good forward drives saw Moore slip over for his second, this time Ingham obliged with the extras 24 to 3. Now with Moore on a hatrick he was seen to be hiding in the backs, as he said he didn't want to buy a jug.

The Heath pack were the much larger and stronger of the two and were finding gaping holes in the West’s defence. On 53 mins Jimmy Blackmore scored his first, Ingham again added the extras 31 to 3. On 59 mins a lose ball from the scrum was hacked on by the Leeds’ number 10, for him to touch down wide out, extras missed. 31 to 8.
Heath seemed to fall asleep from this and in attack all their players seemed to want to score - which saw balls been dropped and moves breaking down. On 71 mins a quick call from Paddy Kerr saw him run blind and take a short pass off Greenwood to barge his way over in the corner. Ingham had now found his kicking boots and from the touchline hit a perfect conversion. Calls could be heard from the 1st team pitch to get Ingham on for them with a boot like that! 38 to 3

The west Leeds lads now looked dead on their feet and a barnstorming run from Blackmore saw him knock off several would be tacklers and score under the posts. Ingham again hit the extras 45 to 8 and full time.
A good 3rd team performance and man of the match awards go to Bash for coming back and playing after his horrific knee injury and the entire Heath pack who controlled the game from start to finish. Well-done lads

Tries 7 Drop Goals 0
Penalty Tries 0 Penalty Goals 0
Conversions 5 Attendance 30
Click any image to enlarge