Match Report: Saturday 20 February 2010

Reported by Dan Ingham.
FINAL SCORE: Heath RUFC 47 vs Huddersfield YMCA 14

A Fine Win.

Ingham lost the toss and YM decided to receive. A high hanging kick from Heath’s Captain was won by right wing John Allison who took the ball into the Hudds 22 in the first few seconds. The Heath packed rucked and mauled towards the line but where held up over. The ref awarded a scrum to the defence, YM won it and kicked to touch. From the resulting lineout, Heath used quick hands to release Tom Cannon and Lockwood at the YM line, only to be held a few yards short. Still more quick ball then enabled Giles Hetherington to work his magic fast feet and step over, under the posts, for the first score of the afternoon, infact after only 4 mins. Ingham tagged on the extras for a score of 7 nil to Heath.

After 10 mins the much quicker Heath backs made telling yards into Hudds territory when a 50 yard break from Cannon was supported well by Kershaw and Hetherington. Unfortunately, the ball was lost which produced a 10 yard scrum to Hudds, which was won against the head and then flanker Gangster broke to touch down at the side of the post. Ingham again made no mistake with the extras, 14 nil to Heath on 20 mins.

Next came the try of the match, that saw Allison make a break in his own 22 and race 80 yards to score under the posts. Again, Ingham tagged on the extras for a score of 21 nil to Heath.

On 29 mins the 3rds seemed to fall asleep at a Hudds lineout and, with a good break down the left and good support, saw the opposition backs score under the posts 21 to 7. Then, Heath had the final say of the half, as good forward play by former YM player Moore and good defence from Kerr, Lawlor and James saw the ball turned over to Cannon who in turn handed on to Hetherington who’s turn of pace saw him cross in the corner. Ingham took the extras. 28 to 7 half time.

Heath made several changes in the break, putting Gaz Owen at hooker, Lister to full back and Crawshaw to second row. However, YM made the better start and managed to cross, after on 10 mins of the half, from an attacking scrum some 5 yards out. 28 to 14.

Ingham and Kerr were seen to be rallying the troops and when Hetherington moved to scrum half this seemed to change the game. Lawlor and Fisher were cleaning up at rucks, which enabled Ingham to launch Cannon, Littlewood and Allison to make telling inroads into the opposition half.

On 55 mins, a break from Cannon was handed on to Allison who scored under the posts. Conversion by Ingham, 35 to 14. Next, on 65 mins, Hetherington made a fine solo break and raced some 40 yards and as he crossed the whitewash he could hear the heavy panting from Emlyn James crying for the ball. Gilo duly passed to him (was later told he did not want to buy a jug) to score. This time Ingham missed the extras, 40 to 14.

Finally, on 72 mins good hands by Heath in their own 22 saw Cannon break and set loose Kershaw, Smith and Gilo. With James galloping towards the line he passed to Lewis Fisher who scored under the sticks for a well deserved try. Ingham converted for a 47 to 14 final score.

Man of the match Lewis Fisher for a fine all-round game.

Tries 7 Drop Goals 0
Penalty Tries 0 Penalty Goals 0
Conversions 6 Attendance 30