Match Report: Saturday 24 October 2009

Reported by Dan Ingham.
FINAL SCORE: Heath RUFC 8 vs Halifax Vandals 8

3rds still not losing!

Heath 3rds played a mixture of vandal vets and vandal 2nd team,

Ingham won the toss and elected to receive. The Vandals kicked off and tank took a high ball and drove well into heart of their defence. Good rucking and mauling by Moore, James and Hanks drove the 3rds well into Vandals’ territory, but position was squander as the ref pulled Heath for an infringement at the ruck. As the players emerged from the pile up Jon Kershaw was seen to be down with a nasty eye injury and had to go off to hospital, the next 10 to 15 mins was dominated by good defence on both sides and several penalties, either way, for what seemed to be minor offences. On 21 mins the Vandals were pulled for offside and Captain Ingham made no mistake with the penalty 20 mtrs in front of the post. 3 – 0 to Heath.

Vandals re started and kicked short, but infact too short and the ball was brought back for a Heath scrum. Hanks and Greenwood made a good 8, 9 move and took the ball deep down the blind side only for winger Gary Hare to be bundled into touch 10 mtrs out. The Warley men then won the lineout and started to drive down field, but a spilled ball and a hack on by young colt Stuart Nelson enabled him to kick the ball again and drop on the ball in the corner for a well deserved try. Ingham just missed the conversation from the touchline. 8 – 0 to Heath at half time

The 2nd half started with vandals bringing the game to the 3rds but solid defence from Kerr, Greenwood and both Nelson twins held firm. Heath were beginning to be penalised for silly things, that they haven’t done all season, and on 52 mins where penalised again, but in front of their own posts. The winger was successful with the kick so the score moved on to 8 to 3, Still in the West Vale men’s favour.

Heath made a few changes, seeing Lee Smith enter the fray and Daz Fermoyle coming on too. Good defence again from James, Hanks and Ingham held firm till until Heath were again penalised and the Vandals made good ground into the heath 22. On 62 mins the 3rds had a scrum in their own 22 and a deft chip over the top from Ingham was caught superbly by Fermoyle who raced 60 mtrs only to be pulled down 10 mtrs short. As the Heath back up arrived Fermoyle was penalised for holding on.
0n 66 mins the Warley men kicked long and Heath could only manage to kick into touch. From the resulting line the Vandals threw the ball out wide and, with only 4 mins remaining, scored in the corner. Thankfully the conversation was missed, for 8 a piece.

4 mins remaining and the Vandals could sense a victory as, again, Heath were needlessly penalised. They kicked into the West Vale men’s territory and the resulting line out was driven towards the Heath posts - but a awful attempt at a drop goal went dead. Ingham kicked long and a fantastic chase from Fermoyle, Greenwood and the Nelson twins pulled the vandal fullback down on his 40. This time the penalty went in Heath’s favour. Capt Ingham checked how long to go and when told 30 seconds ad no choice but to opt for goal, 40 mtrs out and 10 mtrs in from touch. Unfortunately the shot was missed and the full time whistle blew.

A fair result in the end - an 8 all draw. But Heath need to stop giving silly, needless penalties away, and keep together - as the team spirit is second to none. “Man” of the match goes to both Nelson twins! David at hooker and Stuart at flanker. Both lads tackled way above their weight and ran their blood to water.

Even though the 3rds drew, they still remaining unbeaten this season keep going boys

Tries 1 Drop Goals 0
Penalty Tries 0 Penalty Goals 1
Conversions 0 Attendance 30