Match Report: Sunday 3 March 2019

Reported by Stuart Verry
FINAL SCORE: Keighley RUFC 31 vs Heath RUFC 24

Good away performance, but no win.



Heath                    24           Tries:     Dillon Hilton (2), Andrew Coates, Seb Wood-Ives

Conv:    Harry Stevens (2)


Keighley               31          


Forwards: 1) Jack Mollett, 2) Nathan Baldwyn, 3) Ben Kershaw, 4) Toby Laurie, 5) Jamie Reeve, 6) Will Simpson, 7) Sam McIntyre 8) Isaac Shaw


Backs: 9) George Barton, 10) Ben Gianotti, 11) Seb Wood-Ives, 12) Harry Stevens (Capt) 13) Andrew Coates 14) Dillon Hilton 15) Max Rowntree


Subs:, Finlay Verry, Saul Marson, Alfie Connors


Heath travelled to Keighley for another run out of the artificial pitch on what was to become a difficult day.A few changes from last week with Ben Kershaw starting in the front row for the injured Ed Vickers, regular First Five Eighth Ben Gianotti slotting back into the halves with Harry Stevens moving back to Second Five Eighth and Andrew Coates moving to Centre with the return of Nathan Baldwyn at Hooker.


Heath kicked off towards the clubrooms and quickly pinned the home side down in their own half where the pressure soon led to a Keighley error and turnover for Heath.No. 8 Isaac Shaw charged through the middle and the quick recycled ball was rapidly sent out to Wing Dillon Hilton who, with plenty still to do crossed in the left-hand corner.With the Harry Stevens conversion Heath led 7-0 after four minutes.


The Keighley kick off went straight to Will Simpson who ran the ball back into the Keighley half.Again quick ball was sent out wide for a kick though into the home sides 22.From there, a series of penalties, in what was to become a recurring theme, allowed Keighley to push back into Heaths 22 culminating in a converted home side try.


With a big effort required, especially in defence and the loose, Wing Dillon Hilton set the tone with a great steal in the maul but with the mounting number of penalties being awarded against Heath any small gains were be quickly lost and Keighley kicked their way into the Heath 22 from which they scored and converted.Twenty-one minutes into the half, Keighley led 14-7.


With Alfie Connors replacing Sam McIntyre on the side of the scrum, it was Keighley who added the next points, exposing a gap at the side of the breakdown.With the try converted Heath trailed 21-7.


Again Isaac Shaw, Will Simpson and Jamie Reeve led from the front and Heath were quickly back in the Keighley half when a grubber kick through saw Centre Andrew Coates tow the ball through over the line to score Heaths second of the day.Converted by Harry Stevens the deficit was reduced to 21-14 with five minutes to play in the first half.


Heath stormed back into the Keighley 22 and strong run from Second Row Jamie Reeve saw him drop over the line next to the posts with the ball under his body, only for a defensive scrum to be awarded to the home side for the ball being held up over the line.A scrum penalty to the home side was kicked to touch to relieve pressure.


Frustrated by the previous decision, and not to be outdone, Heath took the next opportunity with an excellent Dillon Hilton try in the corner on the stroke of half time to trail 19-21.Again, the backs sent the ball wide through hands leaving the Wing with work to do as he headed to the corner.


After the last substitution made at half time, straight from the kick off a Keighley penalty added another three points to their tally.From the restart Loose Forward Alfie Connors was sin binned for an indiscretion at the ruck leaving Heath with fourteen men for the next ten minutes.With the Keighley interpretation of the offside line causing problems for the Heath halves, including an intercept of the halfback to First Five Eighth pass by the opposition 10, Heath were fortunate not to ship any further points until their return to the full compliment of players.


A Heath penalty for a high shoulder charge by the opposition Fullback saw Heath into the opposition 22 where they camped for a while eventually leading to a score levelling try to Wing Seb Wood-Ives on the 16th minute of the half.


With play going back and forth for the final twenty minutes it was Keighley who managed the final score to take the lead to 31-24 with six minutes on the clock.Heath got a late run of penalties in their favour putting pressure on the home sides line that they were frustratingly unable to cross.


A last-minute touchline fracas saw a red card apiece which was followed shortly after by the final whistle.


Again, two Men of the Match, Will Simpson and Jamie Reeve.

Tries 4 Drop Goals 0
Penalty Tries 0 Penalty Goals 0
Conversions 2 Attendance 75
Click any image to enlarge