Match Report: Saturday 11 November 2017

Reported by Steve Dawes
FINAL SCORE: Heath RUFC 47 vs Otley RUFC 17

Workman like performance


1. Piper    6.  Wilby       11   Webb

2. Whitworth     7. Dawes    12 Ali

3. Morley 8.  Wheelwright   13 Hinsley

4. Milner     9. Cole 14 Wilkinson

5. James    10 Reynolds   15 Hinchcliffe


Subs: Hammond


With Otley arriving with only 14 players at West Vale and Bruce an unavoidable late withdrawal it was a quick reshuffle for Heath prior to Kick off. Hammond admirably agreed to play for Otley allowing proper scrums and Hinsley made his debut.


Heath kicked off on another bright day and were immediately on the ascendance. The impressive Reynolds executed a great kick, through to the 5m, giving an early lineout. Otley secured and cleared but only to the 10m line. The lineout was spoilt, but Webb quickly regained possession, ripping the ball from his opponent, he drove for the line supported by the pack but was held up 5m out. Otley managed to spread the ball out through their backs and won a penalty for a no arms tackle. Heath managed to steal the ball back from the lineout and Reynolds released Hinsley down the wing, seeing Webb in space, he offloaded, and Webb ran through for an opening score under the posts which Cole converted 7-0


From the restart, another punt through from Reynolds, was chased by Wilkinson and Otley conceded a lineout near to halfway. With the ball secured, Webb just failed to find Ali with a pass and Otley were given their first chance to attack. Working the ball out well to their large and pacey No8, they crossed the line out wide. The conversion was missed. 7-5


Again Webb secured the ball from the restart, and via the pack a further penalty was won. Heath chose to take the scrum, but the ball was lost forward when spread through the backs. Heaths pack came back strong and drove Otley off the ball, winning a penalty, the quick tap was taken, and Reynolds executed a perfect miss pass for Webb to cross for his 2nd, which Cole made no mistake adding to. 14-5.

Cole collected the restart, but only made half way with the clearance kick. Otley made no mistake with the lineout and showed pace again on the flank to pull a further try back. 14-10.


From an early Otley penalty, Wilkinson ran the ball back into their half. The forwards supported well again, and Webb went wide, but this time Wilkinson was unable to collect his pass and another chance was gone. Heath regrouped, and the pack forced a further transgression from the set piece, allowing Cole to find touch on the 5m line. With the lineout deemed not straight, Otley cleared into the arms of Reynolds, executing another great chip through, the pacey Whitworth was fast on the covering back and forced a penalty. The quickly taken tap found Wheelwright and then Webb, with Hinsley overlapping at speed he released a perfectly weighted pass for a try to the right of the posts, Coles conversion hit the posts and bounced wide 19-10.


With Otley failing to find touch from another early penalty, Hinchcliffe went on the charge and then cleared to halfway. Wheelwright secured the ball at the lineout and Reynolds found touch on the 22. An Otley player left the pitch with a nasty ankle injury taking them back to 14. With a scrum taken by Heath, Wilby drove through and Webb once again took up the recycled ball, with Dawes collecting the ball with an uncharacteristic one-handed take, Reynolds chip, although collected by the Otley full back, was taken back over his own line and touched down. From the solid scrum, Cole passed to Webb, who took the ball back across the line, and found Wilkinson to cross for the bonus point score. Cole made no mistake with the extras 26-10


James was solid under the high restart and drove into the Otley half, his offload to Dawes was just adjudged forward and Otley attacked again down the flank. A try saving tackle from Wilkinson drove the back into touch and Half time was blown




Half Time 26-10


Otley took the restart and Milner had a chance to show his pace, with Piper and Morley backing up, Reynolds once again punted through, but the ball just rolled into touch. Another Otley injury took them down to 13. With the game moving to uncontested scrums, some scrappy interchange play saw another move break down in the backline. Piper secured ball this time and a quick exchange of passes found Webb clear for his 3rd and pitcher buying try, which Cole added to 33-10


Next it was Heaths turn to lose a player, when Wilby pulled up, and the numbers went back to 14 v 13. The pack were dominant again near the line and forced another pen. With no risk of losing the ball, the scrum was taken, and Heath kicked through.  Whitworth showed excellent footballing skills kicking the ball over the line, and the team thought Wilkinson had touched the ball down. The official adjudged that Otley had taken the ball over and touched in goal for a Heath 5m scrum. Wheelwright took the ball off the base but was held up, Cole passed the ball out to Hinsley for his 2nd of the match, Cole adding the extras once again 40-10.


From a penalty clearance to halfway, the lineout worked the ball to Cole who found Ali on a charge through, when he looked only to have one player to beat he looked for Webb who became isolated and conceded a penalty, which Otley used to clear. Wheelwright forced an opposing player into touch and the lineout was taken quickly, with Cole kicking to halfway again. With the ball spoilt, great work from Webb allowed Wilkinson to chase and forced an attacking lineout on the 22. The ball was lost again, and with Otley losing another player after a lengthy delay, Heath seemed to switch off, allowing the No8 to crash over again for a well-deserved converted try 40-17.

From the restart the ball was hacked through by Heath and Webb and Hinchcliffe chased, with the ball secured Reynolds found himself unopposed on the wing to score again, this time Coles conversion wen in off the post 47-17.


Shortly after, with the light fading the official blew for time, and another home win secured moving the 2nds up to 4th in the table. Otley will no doubt be a tough test when we play them away and we move on to Wharfedale away next week





Tries 7 Drop Goals 0
Penalty Tries 0 Penalty Goals 0
Conversions 6 Attendance 50
Click any image to enlarge