Match Report: Saturday 7 October 2017

Reported by Thomas Stanley Walton
FINAL SCORE: Heath RUFC 60 vs Selby RUFC 6

Heath stick to task and don't let up for the full 80.

Heath went on the rampage with an eight try mauling of lowly Selby in this Yorkshire 1 clash and maintained a top four position. The team showed great character as they put on a superb rugby display to entertain a large crowd at North Dean against a side who have not won all season but to Selbys credit continued to battle throughout despite the onslaught from the home side.

Early exchanges saw Heath awarded a penalty after 2 minutes and Ezra Hinchliffe obliged for a lead of 3-0 to Heath but Selby came straight back with  the same as a penalty kick from Hunt pulled the scores level 3-3 after five minutes. From the re-start Heath went back on the attack and when Seiffe Boussaada  got hold of the ball his drive to the Selby 22 saw Peter Birkett in support and a pass out to Callum Harriett-Brown resulted in an unconverted try to Heath and a lead of 8-5 with seven minutes gone. Once again Selby would not lie down and they reduced the arrears with a Hunt penalty on nine minutes 8-6. This seemed to spur Heath into action and they began an onslaught onto the Selby defence who struggled to contain the home side. Following excellent work from the home forwards Matt Beasty won line out ball and set up Richard Brown and Chris Moore to surge forwards. However, Selby cleared but when Peter Birkett picked up the ball, well inside his own half, he suddenly broke clear to run half the length of the field before releasing Harriett-Brown who in turn passed inside to the supporting Jordan Bradbrook and unselfishly his pass out to Ezra Hinchliffe saw the centre go over for a superb try on eighteen minutes and Heath led 13-6. The crowd thoroughly enjoyed that move and demanded more of the same and Heath obliged as they began to take control. On twenty three minutes a clever kick from Jack Crabtree saw Harriett-Brown, who tormented the Selby defence all game, scoop up the ball to go over for his second try, converted by Hinchliffe and a lead of 20-6. Shortly after Bradbrook and Hinchliffe linked well to release Jason Merrie and he went in for a bonus point try on thirty minutes, converted by Hinchliffe, and a score of 27-6. Selby continued to battle against the onslaught as James Watson entered the fray with Olly Cook taking a turn on the bench. Ezra Hinchliffe went in for a fifth try of the first half but missed an easy conversion and as half time arrived Heath led 32-6. It had been an excellent first half for Heath and their supporters were hopeful of more of the same in the second half.

Chris Moore was replaced by Cook in the scrum as Heath went in search of adding to their total. Selby could not contain the Heath juggernaut of a pack and with Richard Brown in control he popped up with a try early in the second half, converted by Hinchliffe, to increase the lead to 39-6. Matt Beasty and Jack Crabtree were replaced by Tobias Hinchliffe and Martyn Barnes as coach Dave Harrison re-shuffled his team and this seemed to slow down the onslaught as the players re-adjusted and the next fifteen minutes saw Selby hold out with no more scoring. However, it was only a matter of time before the home forwards got going again and when Cook, Alex McFadden, Brown and Merrie linked up Seiffe Boussaada was the receiver of the ball and he powered over for his first Heath try under the posts on sixty five minutes. Hinchliffe added the extras and a score of 46-6. Captain Ian Downsborough, who had had an outstanding game leading from the front, made way for the returning Matt Beasty and shortly after Heath scored the try of the game with a full length movement involving Tobias Hinchliffe, Brown, Sam Polllard, Ezra Hinchliffe, Peter Birkett and Harriett-Brown before his pass to Jordan Bradbrook saw him go over for a converted try on seventy minutes 53-6. Heath continued to batter down the Selby defence and despite Boussaada going to the sin bin yet another fast flowing movement saw Si Brown get on the score sheet with a try, a simple Hinchliffe conversion and a final score of 60-6 to round of a superb rugby display.

Coach Harrison was delighted with the game and even took time out in the last ten minutes to sit and admire the display as his side tore the visitors apart. Next up is a Shield game away to Bradford Salem before resuming the league programme and games against clubs in the top six will determine how far his team has come.

Tries 9 Drop Goals 0
Penalty Tries 0 Penalty Goals 1
Conversions 6 Attendance 125
Click any image to enlarge