Match Report: Sunday 16 December 2018

Reported by Stuart Verry
FINAL SCORE: Roundhegians Club 20 vs Heath RUFC 12

Slow start, but improved 2nd half.

Heath                    12           Tries: Jack Lumb, Harry Stevens

Conv: Jack Lumb  

Roundhegians   20          


Forwards: 1) Ed Vickers, 2) Nathan Baldwyn, 3) Callum Pickett, 4) Toby Laurie, 5) Jamie Reeve, 6) Will Simpson, 7) Sam McIntyre - Capt, 8) Isaac Shaw


Backs: 9) Owen Simpson, 10) Ben Gianotti, 11) Max Rowntree, 12) Harry Stevens 13) Matt Nicholson 14) George Barton 15) Jack Lumb


Subs: Ben Kershaw, Jack Mollet, Finlay Verry, Dillon Hilton, Saul Marson, Seb Wood-Ives


Yorkshire Bowl Quarterfinal


Having got the better of Roundhegians at the start of the season in a close match at West Vale, Heath knew they were in for a tough away fixture against the Leeds outfit.

After going behind early on, Heath knuckled down with good spells in both attack and defence against a well organised home side who were using their big men through the middle to good effect.  Roundhegians scored the next points to extend their lead to 10-0 after 17 minutes with a yellow card to a Heath player then making the next 10 minutes a difficult spell in which the home side scored, again unconverted.

Heath lost Wing George Barton to a blood injury with Saul Marson coming on as replacement shortly followed by Dillon Hilton replacing Lock Jamie Reeve with Captain Sam McIntyre moving into the second row.  Roundhegians continued to pile on the pressure but Heath held on to the half time break to turn round with a 15 point deficit.

Fresh legs were injected at half time with both Props replaced by Jack Mollet and Ben Kershaw and Finlay Verry replacing Toby Laurie in the second row.  A good spell followed with Heath starting to put the home side under pressure in their 22.  That pressure was rewarded with an excellent backs try to Fullback Jack Lumb who, after being put through the gap by Centre Matt Nicholson, on halfway, had the pace and quick feet to go over 15 minutes into the half.  With the try not converted Heath had closed the gap to 10 points, 15-5.

Further replacements were made by the Heath coaching staff and three minutes later the Heath backline were off again.  Excellent interchange of passes between Jack Lumb and Matt Nicholson saw supporting Second Five Eighth Harry Stevens score wide out on the left hand side.  Jack Lumbs conversion took the score to 15-12 and the home side were staring to feel the pressure.

It was Roundhegians who had the last say in the match scoring another unconverted try with six minutes left on the clock to take the final score to 20-12.

After a slow start in the first half with some good patches a much improved second half showed that again there was not much between the two sides but unfortunately it was Roundhegians who progressed to the semi-finals.     


Tries 2 Drop Goals 0
Penalty Tries 0 Penalty Goals 0
Conversions 1 Attendance 100
Click any image to enlarge